Chapter IX

One week before the Emergence, California

"Could you reach her?"
She looked over at Ikaris, pulling the jacket tighter around her body.

He shook his head.
"I'm sorry Ajak."

The woman took a slow breath, even if she had expected that answer.
"I have always been honest with you, Ikaris." she said after a long pause, staring off into the endless fields of grey grass.

Ikaris had his eyes one her, a frown forming.
"What is it, Ajak?"

"I let her go that day. But sometimes I question if it was the right thing to do.
She needed me and I threw her out into the world alone."
He placed a hand on hers, making her gaze shift over to him.

"You did the right thing."

Ajak laughed, but it was rather at his sore attempt for comfort.
"No, it might have been back then. But she is no longer the girl she used to be, all those millions of years ago."

Visions of the young Persia flooded her mind.
They were vivid, in contrast to how colorless the girl was. Shy and pulled back.
Blushing at every little thing that was even slightly embarrassing.
Although she evolved, part of that never faded.
Until they came to earth.
She bloomed with love, excitement.
Even through the dark times she had that sparkle of joy in her eyes.

And until the moment that she had left her alone in Tenochtitlan.

"Her magic has changed." Ajak lifted her voice again, "I thought if I kept an eye on her, protected her all I could, she'd be fine."
Her voice betrayed her as she spoke.

"She isn't one of us. Persia is not an eternal, there's more to her.
And we have let her believe that it was all her own fault for being unlike us."

Ikaris knew.
Everyone knew.
They had lied to Persia for centuries, persuading her with petty pats to the back and singing lullabies to her.

Kept her at distance from the only person who had his doubts.

"I let her down, Ikaris." Ajak hardened her features, sternly meeting his face.
"I have followed Arishem for millions of years and I have never doubted him.
Until now."

"Why now?"
He pulled back slightly,
"Why now?!"

"Five years ago Thanos erased half the universe. Delayed the Emergence. But the people of this planet brought everyone back, with the snap of a finger.
You know, after I let you all go, i travelled the world living among them-

I have seen them fight and lie and kill.
But I have also seen them laugh and love.
I have seen them create and dream."

Ajak has lost herself to her words, she didn't even notice how she cut short on air,
"This planet and these people have changed me. The cost of Arishem's desire is not worth it.-
Not this time."

She tried reading his expression.
Jaw clenched shut, eyes darkened.
Soft throughout, though.
"I trust you Ajak."
The words didn't seem easy to leave his mouth.
"I will follow you to the end, as I always have."

"Thank you." she smiled weakly, back at the fighter who had always stayed at her side.
Ajak was lucky to have him as her spine, he gave her the support which she needed.

"We have to bring everyone back together."

"There's something I have to show you first."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Wind swooshed past her face, burning where the scratches left lines along her skin.
She bit down on the mouthguard, inhaled a deep breath before racing her fist across the face of her opponent.