Chapter XVII

She regained awareness because something stung in her nose.

Her hand violently swung across her face, hitting something.

Porcelain shattered, the loud clinging causing her eyes to shoot open, chest rapidly lifting off the surface.

Sweat stuck to her body, that disgusting hot cold making her want to throw up.
Nausea consumed her mind instantly.

She fell back into a pillow, groaning.
Persia's palms stacked on her forehead, trying to calm the pounding between her eyes.

"Oh for fucks sake, she's alive." someone said, their voice sounding odd and far away.

"She broke my bowl!" another answered, obviously irritated.

"Come on Phastos, give the girl a break." a new voice, calmly said. It was a lot closer to her than the others.
"And Kingo, watch your language."

Her eyes adjusted to the light, this time pushing herself off the ground much slower.

She could identify them after blinking a couple times.
Sersi sat right next to her, top lip tucked in.
Kingo had his arms crossed in the back, tapping his foot to the ground.

Phastos picked up the remaining pieces of the thing she had sent flying across the room.

"Sorry for breaking that bowl." she mumbled, "Next time maybe don't rip me back into reality by making me feel like I have fire termites colonizing my nasal area."

Kingo laughed, then put a hand over his mouth when Sersi sent him a warning gaze.

She turned back over to her.
"We will be more gentle next time."

Persia squeezed her eyes shut a couple times, stretched her sore, tight skin.
"How long?"

"A day, almost." Phastos said, finally putting the shards into a bucket.
"Thanks to me."

Persia tilted her head to the side, peaking right past his attitude.

He exhaled, pushed his glasses up.
Phastos walked up to her, put a soft kiss on her forehead.
"I'm happy to see you, Persia."
-"in one piece and breathing." he added under his breath.

"Me too." she replied, giving him a weak smile.

She looked about the room, frowning.
"Where are we?"

"My house." Phastos exhaled, giving up on piecing the bowl back together.

She nodded slowly, trying to remember what happened, her eyes widened and she started pushing herself from the bed, Sersi putting a hand to her shoulder.
"Don't get up so fast-"

"Maya-" she spoke rapidly, trying to brush past the woman, "Where is she?"

"Here." the girl stepped from the corner of the room, a weight falling from Persia's heart.

She had a weak smile sitting on her face, she didn't look like she slept.
"I have my things all packed up, I'm going back home."

Persia blinked a couple times, then nodded.
"Okay,", a little rasp formed in her throat. "I was going to tell you exactly that."

"I know, that's why I'm leaving, because you want me to." Maya replied, coming up to her, then turned towards the others.
"Could we have a moment?"

Sersi dragged the others out behind her, Phastos rambling something about it being ridiculous to be kicked out of his own house.

Maya chuckled, taking the seat which Sersi had sat in.
For a while, they just watched each other, silently.