Chapter XI

Ajak didn't get a funeral.

There was no time, and it wouldn't have done them any good if they had allowed themselves to fall into grief at that moment.

They wrapped her into silk and put her into her bed in her home.
Her body would preserve, unlike that of a human.

They'd bury her once everyone was back, as a family. So they could share their sorrows and pain like they always did.
Persia only thought it was right to let her rest in the place she loved most.

She wasn't religious, didn't send any prayers to the gods somewhere.

But she caught herself staring into the sky, convincing herself that the stars which lit a little brighter were Ajak keeping an eye out for them.

All the planets they had been to together, she wondered why this one had to be the last.

Wished that her soul would pass on easily with everything that reminded her of the woman.
She wasn't there physically any longer, still, Persia hadn't felt her in centuries before her energy passed on.

Ajak would never leave her heart.

Now, they stood in some crowded parking lot, the sun burning their skin.
She was already missing the California weather, even if it never got cold there either.

"Have you ever been to Asia?" Maya asked, drawing little figures into the dust which collected on the window of the cars.

"Many times." Persia replied, tugging her sleeve a little higher, "I lived in Russia for a while, but we travelled the world a lot."

"Of course you have." Maya smiled, scoffing a little.
"I was convinced you were just trying to make fun of my Russian."

Persia pursed her lips and allowed her cheeks to show a little color,
"I was definitely making fun of you."

Both their eyes caught the others walking out of the building, Kingo and some other unfamiliar man closely behind them.
"Okay, look, I said I'd be honest but I knew you'd freak out-"

"You're related to Kingo? THE Kingo?!"
Maya gasped, hitting Persia's shoulder, "And you didn't bother to tell me?"

"This is exactly why I waited out here with you-"

"I have made you watch all his movies only for you to tell me he's like- your brother?"

"We are not related-"

Maya threw her arms into the air in disbelief,
"Next you're going to tell me that there never were his father, or grandfather or-"

"Oh my god!" Kingo screeched, eyes widening behind the sunglasses as soon as he caught sight of Persia.
"I wouldn't have expected you to show."

Persia chuckled and allowed him to give her a tight hug, "I couldn't leave my family hanging." she squeezed for air.

He pulled her back by the shoulders and shook her lightly back and forth.
"What happened to your hair?"

"Don't you think it looks cool?" Persia argued, looking down at the loose white strands dangling down her shoulders.

"Chic, a little like that girl from Frozen." he nudged, crunching his nose.

"You don't like it."

"I do!" he spoke, his voice betraying his words.

Persia laughed in return, deciding not to put him on the rack after they had first seen each other in a thousand years.
"Who is that?"
He pointed to Maya, who stared absolutely unmoving in one spot.