The Final Countdown

TW- Blood, Explosions, Bombs, Needles, Medical Procedures

There was always a profound difficulty balancing the life of a superhero and a high school student. Peter had support, of course. Ned and MJ were two of the closest friends he had and he wouldn't change that for the world. Tony and May were basically co-parenting him at this point, always giving him the talks regarding 'responsibility' and 'self care'. He couldn't help his mind wandering to his self sacrificial thoughts, when someone was in danger.

What Tony failed to understand was, that Peter would always value the life of others above himself. The teen would end his own life to save a homeless person on the street. The billionaire was always petrified, he would get a message from Friday or Karen informing him of Peter's departure from this world. Thus far, nothing extremely bad has happened. However, being part of the Avengers was always a gamble.

Peter glanced down at his phone, first noticing the four missed calls from Tony. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, until reality kicked in. He observed the digital clock on the screen, seeing he had overslept for his lab day with his mentor by two hours. The previous nights patrol, really took it out of him. The teen groaned with frustration, before throwing the bed sheets off of him and quickly jumped to throw on some clothes. His uncoordinated self, decided to put on joggers, a science t-shirt and odd socks. He slipped on his new high tops, that Tony had bought him for his birthday and practically ran out the apartment. He jogged to the subway, trying to make up some lost time. After some distractions along the way, he decided to ring Tony.

The phone rang three times, before the familiar voice filled his ears. "Kid, if you had better things to do, a text would have been nice. Although, that seems impossible. Nothing is better than quality time with me."

Peter recognised Tony's sarcasm a mile away, "I am so sorry Mr Stark! I overslept and I was running so fast I almost tripped over a homeless guys leg! Then as if that wasn't bad enough, this old lady just stopped in front of me and I ran into her! I'm sure if I didn't have quick reflexes, she would have face planted the floor... Anyway, after she hit me with her purse for being 'rude' I felt so bad I gave her my discount card for Taco Bell. She seemed happy about that! I will be there as soon as I can!".

There was a couple of seconds silence as Tony processed the madness of what the teen just said, "Kid... I gave you that Taco Bell voucher".

Peter paused, trying to decide how to respond. "Oh right, uh I... um, thing is Mr Stark... I can't deal with people being angry at me and it made her smile. I can live without Taco Bell."

"Kid, I'm joking. I'm one of the CEO's of that company, I get it free for life.", Tony responded. "Anyway, stop screwing around and get your little spider self here. Pronto!". Before Peter could respond, Tony hung up.

-

30 minutes later, Peter finally arrived outside the Avengers tower. As he entered the foyer, he noticed the new Christmas decor surrounding the building. As if Tony wasn't extra enough, it appeared as though he had personalised decorations. The giant Christmas tree had all the Avengers as hanging ornaments and to know ones surprise, Iron Man was the star on the top. Peter did notice a Spider-Man figure, hanging from one of the branches at the top and a smile spread across his face. He then jumped in the elevator and headed up to the lab, greeting Friday in the process.

The elevator soon opened to reveal Tony in a Christmas hat and jumper, Peter let out a slight snigger at the sight. "Mr Stark, I'm loving the new look", the teen said with a giggle.

"Thought I would make an effort this year, considering I have a kid to entertain now. Did you like the set up downstairs?". Before Peter could answer, Tony continued. "Actually don't answer that, of course you did. Anyway, take a seat. I have some plans to talk about."