Chapter Eighteen- The performance

This chapter is cryptic and is mainly an attempt to develop the characters more so I do not have to write a hell of a lot more chapters before I can get to the main plot. If you are not interested in that, then you can skip this chapter.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

The room was neither quiet nor loud, fluctuating between the two frequeantly as little occured. They all sat, the majority of them barely touching their meal, more content to focus their attention on the new addition. The tension was still there, it was always there. And each member was cautious, but they all performed their pantomine.

They all enacted their role in the play.

Kisame ate without care, devouring the food in front of him whilst making casual conversation. He switched between Itachi and Shou, recieving mere nods and silence in reply from one and laughing replies that contained more animation accompanied by a cryptic interest from the other. But he didn't appear to care, as he continued to grin with a hint of sadism and converse, merely shrugging off the tension.

He played the part of the strength.

Itachi was silent throughout, expression carefullly indifferent as he attentively ate, wary of poison or other possibilities that were all to real to a ninja. More so to a criminal such as him. He acknowledged his partners remarks but did not reply. For that was not his part to play. He must remain vigilant, more so when the tension was suffocating as it was now. For no slip ups could happen.

He played the part of Death.

Sasori remained still, not eating but simply observed the boy. He did not require food. So he had little to do and saw no point in doing anything other than while away the impatience by observing. He was immortal. He had all the time in the world and yet, he did not like to waste it. After all, life was short and he would not risk the chance of death. And this boy was an anomaly. He held an innocence that was quite clearly tainted by darkness, but the depths of that darkness was blurred beyond recognition. So he ignored the tension, as it meant nothing to him.

He played the part of Judgement.

Orochimaru sat beside his partner, not a sound leaving his mouth but his thoughts clearly displayed in his eyes that did not stray from their target. He remained foused upon the boy, smirk embeded in place to try to hide the intentions, the impulse, he studied each and every inch of his body, fixated upon the potential the boy held as a specimen and the power he could bring as a vessel. For he had those eyes and there was nothing he craved more than power. And the tension merely heightened his obssession for the eyes.

He played the part of The Hanged Man.

Kakuzu ate in silence, eating very little whilst keeping count of the amount it cost and how many more bounties would be required to make up the loss, ignoring the cursing of the Jashinist beside him. Because money was the only thing that mattered. It was the only thing you could rely on- it wouldn't betray you or throw you into a prison to rot. It was his only desire. So the appearence of this boy meant nothing to him, but the fact that there was going to be another drain on the income. Another person leeching off the funds. But, the boy himself was... intriguing. So the tension was merely a slight irritation to him.

He played the part of The Devil.

Hidan was loud throughout the meal, swearing and cursing and threatening the Miser beside him for lack of a better target. He wanted to sacrifice. He wanted to pray. He wanted to fulfill his commitment to Jashin because Jashin was the one thing he believed in. Jashin was the only thing worthwhile in this world. But instead, he was forced to sit here and eat with these heathens. Not to mention, there was the new boy. A strange, creepy boy that could probably rival Kisame in his ability to smell blood. But the tension was a nuisance, because it simply made him more irritated to fulfill his desires.

He played the part of The Pope.

Pein sat still. He didn't move or talk, he simply stared at the scene with a blank expression. He reflected upon the plans and the uses and requirements for it as the tension remained stubborn, refusing to lift as the group talked and ate and glared among eachother. Each member was different, but they all had a use. They were all necessary to use for the peace. But he had to remain cautious, for the boy was odd, unpredictable. There was no telling what the boy would do and when they would betray them. Any of the members could betray them. So the tension merely reminded him of the direness of the situation and the consequences it could bring.

He played the role of The Hermit.

Konan sat, expression blank but her mind whirring in a myraid of thoughts and doubts and worries. The boy was simply a child but already so disturbed and he was going to be another pawn who would die. Everyone at this table would die for their cause, no longer the loud, chaotic group they currently are. They would all become empty, cold corpses that are left to rot once no longer useful. Was this really right? Was all this the right way to achieve peace? She didn't know anymore. But she would follow Pein. She would follow what he chooses because he is all she has left.

She played the role of The Star.

Shou sat, smile wide as his eyes watched everyone and everything, laughing inwardly at the hilarity of it all. For they were all clueless and yet they played their roles so well. They were fulfilling the script perfectly. They wouldn't understand anything, for they never understood.They wouldn't understand when disaster came, destruction wreaking it's whims onto them. They wouldn't understand anything.

And the tension was comical to him. He loved it.

He was The Tower.

The stage was full and the play had begun.

But who was to say the parts would remain unchanged?

For by the time the climax came to act, everything will have gone to hell....

....burning amongst the lies.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

There. That is done. In case you are confused, the parts assigned are based on tarot cards and which card I thought most appropriate. I hope you didn't mind this chapter too much.