2 - A Pinch in the Wind

FWhip landed on Rivendell soil with no sign of Gem, he flew around, trying to find her, but saw only a nether portal with a looted chest.

This must be Scotts... He assumed, giving up hope of finding his magical friend.

Rivendell was cold, all the water had been frozen solid, forming great shards of ice to pierce out from the cliffs. Vines of snow tangled around the magnificent Elk statue, the large figurine no longer held a mystical aura, it was as if all magic had been drained from it.

FWhip pulled his leather aviators jacket further over himself, the breeze was like spider crawling on his back. His scarf narrowly escaped being caught in the mountains gust. How Scott ever lived up here, FWhip didn't know.

Scott's main cabin lay in ruins, the wood was now diluted with a grey mold. Every planks of roofing was coated in a line of sleet, the overbite of the roof hung clusters off icicles.

Its weird, it feels as if the empire itself realised Scott isn't coming back.

He walked into the small area where his villagers stayed. The elven people warmed themselves by the torches, by bundling up by with one and other. They eyed FWhip as if he were an alien. He walked down to the secret throne room, pushing the stiff lever with heavy hands.

The throne room was warm, but the torches had burnt out, spreading darkness against the walls. FWhip walked down the stairs to the lower area where a large banquet table filled the room. Scott's throne seemed untouched, but on further inspection, FWhip noticed a thin web of ice tangling between the fake antlers.

Then he saw it, a red tint glowing from behind him, a gentle aura dragging him in. He turned around, and the Grimlands Emperor was faced by the Xornoth Crystal...

"Well what do we with it?!" Katherine stressed, pacing through Rivendell. FWhip summoned the Mayor of the Overgrowth after finding the Gem.
"I don't know?" FWhip replied.
"Well why did you call me?!" Katherine yelped, almost dropping the crystal that felt heavy in her hand. "Gems a wizard, and Scott's his brother?..." Katherine noticed the morbid look in his eyes.

"I can't find either of them..." Katherines bottom lip quivered with fear, she glanced around at the frozen and abandoned Rivendell, as if it was only just unravelling itself infront of her eyes. "And with you as the most neutral empire in the server I thought you might be able to keep-"

"Keep him with me?!" Katherine yelled profusely, her face a picture of defiance. "Last time that thing was near my empire, my flowers became corrupted and tentacles burst from the earth!"

"I know but if you could just-"

"No!" Katherine snapped, interrupting the stammering Lord of Eastvale. "I'm sorry but no..." She said calmly, regaining her composed posture. FWhip had a face like he just got slapped on the wrist, he felt annoyed that she refused, but he understood her concerns... with a grin.

"Okay," He smiled, taking the Crystal from Katherines clammy hands. He tucked the red gem into his inventory. "We can just keep it here until we find someone willing to take it." The pair shook hands and then went to place the glass shard in its holder.

3 weeks later

FWhip woke from yet another nightmare, he had soaked his tattered pillow with sweat. His red duvet was half off his body, it lay strewn against a bin full of chunks of tuff and copper scraps.

The Tinkerer couldn't get it off his mind, the image of Xornoth lingered liked a bad smell, and with the absence of Gem, a therapeutical presence on the server, FWhips was a lampless sailer, traversing through a misty river, constantly pushing against the current.

An hour later, FWhip kneeled by a small array of lime and magenta candles: the colours of Gems wizard robes...

He soaked the earth in green dye, smearing the viscous fluid with his tinkering gloves. Then, he sprinkled a ring of gun powder around the mock séance.

"I need to find her..."

Then he placed it down... The real Xornoth crystal, not the red stained glass shard he returned to Scott's throne room.

"... And I think you can help."
The candles flicked out, the gun powder erupted into a puff of smoke and the dye turned molten red.

It's true... I've been visiting her lately...
The whispering voice of Xornoth was like a ringing in FWhips ears. He shuddered, rethinking his choices.

"I shouldn't be doing this..." FWhip sighed. "I shouldn't have lied to Katherine..." I sensed Xornoth was watching.

Fine... He cackled. Put me back... Without his wonder boy, Aeor's powerless...

"Scott..." FWhip mouthed.

I'll come back... You can't stop a storm...

The candles sprung back to life, the dyes regained colour and the mist subsided, the crystal was scarlet red, like blood.

FWhip had to put it back, he couldn't keep the crystal any longer...

But part of him wanted to keep it...