Chapter 48

"Oh do hurry Maria! You'll be late otherwise" Ms Heliotrope called. She stood down in the great hall in her robe, her hair neatly pinned into rollers.

"Ms Heliotrope, may I remind you that the ceremony isn't until the later afternoon. It's barely past dawn. I'm only going on a quick ride, I shan't be long" I smiled down the staircase. I skipped down the stairs to face her.

"Very well, but no mud!" She reminded me, her mouth forming a perfect straight line.

"Don't worry Ms Heliotrope" I giggled. I walked out to the meadow, where I found Tarquin happily grazing with with Periwinkle. I whistled for my friends and they pricked their ears and trotted toward myself, a whinny of delight escaping Periwinkle.

"Good morning to you both, how are my favourite two this early morning?" I patted both their necks and gave them berries from my pockets. "Ready for a ride this morning?" I stroked Tarquin's neck and took a handful of mane in my hand. I heaved myself up on to his back and nudged him on. Periwinkle whinnied behind us. "Come along then silly". She shook her head and trotted along beside us.

I joined the track to Silverydew and breezed a steady canter along the path. I could see the village through the trees, shining brightly in the sunshine. As I got closer I could make out colours of green and blue bunting, lining the roofs of the newly rebuilt houses, that now had a more modern feel to them.

I brought Tarquin back to a walk just outside the village walls and called Periwinkle in closer, so she wouldn't be tempted to nibble at the market stalls.

Outside each house was a long bench and table and chair lined with blue and green table cloths, like nothing I had ever seen before. There were plates upon plates in the middle of the tables surrounded by daisies and pink geraniums, my favourite flowers. It brought an added warmth to my heart seeing how wonderful a day this would be to Moonacre's people.

I nudged Tarquin on into the village to the square where I found most of the inhabitants setting up a stage and a music band, with the statue in the middle covered in more geraniums.

"It's Maria!" I heard a small voice call. I scanned the crowd to see where the little voice had come from.

I peered down from Tarquin and there was the familiar face of Anna, with her now long hair in pigtails.

"Maria!" she squealed.

"Hello Anna!" I greeted her. It was so warming to see how much she had grown up in a short period of time.

"This is for chu!" she reached up and in her hand was a red rose.

"That's beautiful Anna. Thank you" I smiled to her and reached down from Tarquin to delicately take the rose from her.

"Anna! There you are! Don't ever run away like that!" Elisabeth rushed through our ever growing audience to snatch up Anna. She looked so much healthier since I had last seen her. Her face was flawless and relaxed. She glanced up at me and her face was shocked. "Maria! Forgive me, I did not mean to raise my voice".

"It's alright Elisabeth" I chuckled. "Actually I have come with a proposition for Anna".

"What's a proposition mummy?" Anna asked, tugging on her mothers dress. She was too adorable, I had hoped she would take me up on my offer.

"An offer of an idea of sorts Anna" Elisabeth smiled. "Go on Maria".

"Anna, how would you feel about being my bridesmaid?"

Elisabeth's jaw dropped and Anna squealed in delight. "I've never been a bridesmaid before!"

"Maria that's such a generous offer, are you most certain?" Elisabeth asked.