Chapter 17

As soon as I was through the castle gates and on foot, I stormed up the the castle door and shoved it open.

"Ms Heliotrope!" I hollered.

Light foot steps came rushing down the stairs "Goodness child, what is wrong?" Panic flashed across her face.

"I want to leave Ms Heliotrope. I can't be here anymore" I cried.

"Maria, we must talk. Come sit down, I have something's to say to you" My mistress started to walk to the sitting room where Robin and I were sat on my birthday. I was very careful not to sit in the same place.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I recieved a letter from a college in London. They have heard about your issues here and about how you passed you examinations last year with myself as your teacher. They want you to go to their college and study there for a year" Ms Heliotrope said, her eyes sparkling with pride.

It was quite an honour for a girl of my age to be asked to go study at a college. But it was what I needed and I took the offer up immediately. "Yes, yes I will go!"

Tears welled in Ms Heliotrope's eyes. She was a successful tutor who's student was asked to study at a top college and there was nothing more delightful to her. But then she frowned "What about dear Robin Maria? Surely you would like him to come too?"

I slowly swallowed "No Ms Heliotrope. Robin belongs here now. He never wants to return to London non the less with me" I stood up, said goodbye and swiftly left the room to pack.

I would be leaving the next morning.

* * * * * * * * *

My bags were ready by the door and Uncle and the Couer were standing outside ready to see me off. They had regular updates about the action on the battle field. Duncan's army were strong but had no real technique however, Moonacre was suffering; the nature around was slowly dying even more so now I was leaving. Loveday had already said her emotional goodbyes. I wasn't entirely sure the next time I would see my family.

Digweed pulled up with the coach and two beautiful black freisan horses were hooked up at the front.

The Couer stepped out first "Goodbye Maria and good luck at your college. It shall do you the world of good to take a break from Moonacre for a few months"

I nodded in agreement.

I knew what he was going to say next "I don't know where the devil my boy is, I would have thought he would have come to say goodbye"

"Oh don't worry. He already has" I lied, even though in a way he had. The dagger. I had safely left that behind in my room with a small note:

Robin,

I don't know what had motivated you to join Alex and I suppose I never will. I'm going to London now, probably never to return. I wanted you to know that I did love you but at least I know now that this was all a game. You've betrayed my trust and I don't know how you can live with yourself anymore.

Goodbye Robin,

Maria.

I still couldn't get over the fact that I was running away from this. I was the real coward here.

Uncle was next to say goodbye.

"My dear Maria, I am so sorry we have to part this way. I wish you all the best in London my sweet and you must come back and visit once in a while"

"I shall Uncle, I promise" I could never abandon this place forever even if it meant returning in a few years. "Goodbye Uncle" I hugged him tightly and he kissed my forehead. I kissed his cheek in return, turned towards the carriage and hopped in and set off to London.

* * * * * * * * * *

We arrived in London in the late evening and all my memories of the dark city started to flood back. The yellow lights, tall, towering buildings, smoke down alleyways it all seemed so normal and familiar.

I was to stay at the college and share a a room with another girl. Ms Heliotrope was to be an assistant house mistress for our stay.

A few minutes later, Digweed pulled up outside the college. It had huge pillars at the front and a big wooden door with many steps leading up to it. There were huge windows looking out onto the street and that was all I could see in the dim light.

Digweed opened the coach door and I jumped out. The smell of London hit me hard. The smell of dampness and residue. I was handed my bags and climbed the steps to the door.

I turned behind me and Ms Heliotrope said goodbye to Digweed, giving him a kiss on his cheek, in which he blushed.

I giggled and Ms Heliotrope hurried up the stairs as Digweed returned to Moonacre.

I knocked on the door and after a few clanks it opened and a man in a top hat and tails poked his head around the door. "How may I help you ladies?"

"I'm Maria Merryweather..."

"You better come in then" The man interrupted me.

I frowned. Nothing like a nice and polite person late at night is there?

I entered the door and inside was a great big hall, with a shiny wooden floor and a grand staircase that split left and right in the middle. There were a few students crossing the floor that gave me a look and then carried on.

"I shall take you to your rooms and you will be expected to see the headmaster before nightfall" The man said.

I nodded.

"Please, come this way" He took my bag out of my hand and took me to my room at the top of the building. It was the last room at the end of a long, narrow corridor. It was opened up and sat on a bed by the window was a girl with long, straight brown hair. She smiled at me and I smiled in return.

"This shall be your room Maria. Make your self at home" the man said in a monotone voice.

"Thank you" I took my bags and placed them on the free bed by the wall. The room was rectangular with a bed by the window and one in the corner by the door. Each bed had a dressing table at the end and a small bedside table.

As I unpacked my bags I felt the girl's eyes on me.

"Hi, I'm Charlotte Brambles"

The girl was suddenly behind me with her hand out for me to shake. I turned around and shook it.

"Hello, I'm Maria Merryweather"

"Wait, as in the Maria Merryweather?"

'The Maria Merryweather?' What does that mean? "Yes I am?" Unless there's another one...

"Oh my gosh! Everybody is dying to make your acquaintance...!" Charlotte exclaimed.

I had heard that line one too many times.

A/N ~ Shout out time!

@SorryWritings
@NicholeBlake1
@c_woods711
@Taryn_De_Noir (love the name!;))
@Wolfqueen2002
@taytaysmile10

Thanks guys! <3 (and please tell me if I miss you, I don't shout out twice though!)

What do you think is going to happen next? What do you think of Charlotte? :)