Chapter 16

Robin was up and awake and dressed in his usual clothes when he joined myself and Ms Heliotrope for breakfast. The Couer and Uncle had left early this morning to brief our soldiers that were brave enough to fight for our cause.

Robin perched on the end of my seat and placed his arm around my chair, with a long black peice of cloth in his pocket, making Ms Heliotrope rather uncomfortable. I watched her fidget until she settled moments later.

"What's the plan for today then?" I asked Robin looking up at him.

"You're about to have a fun few days, weeks, months even years inside, princess. I can't risk you being outside with Duncan's soldiers around. I'm making sure you will be looked after here. " Robin said stroking my hair.

"Why can't you be here?" I asked him.

"I'll be out there -"

"Fighting" I pried.

"Not so much fighting, more spying on the enemy" he explained.

"Who asked you to do that?"

"Myself"

"But you -"

"Maria, my princess, it's for you and for Moonacre. I wouldn't survive without either."

I opened my mouth to speak but Ms Heliotrope became agitated. "Robin De Noir" she said standing up and ushering him over to the wall. Robin scuttled over.

"Stay with Maria, look after her. She needs and depends on you more than you think young man. No one could protect her better than you can. She hates more than anything being stuck indoors and as much I deteste to say it, she needs to be outdoors and there's no one better to look out for her than you. Either you stay with her or she joins you spying." Ms Heliotrope whispered, loud enough for me to hear. I noticed she was pulling on Robin's weaker strings. "She won't be able to enjoy this beautiful valley much longer"

Much longer? "Ms Heliotrope! What do you mean much longer?"

"Well - well - I uh" she struggled for words, a big hint at a lie.

"I'm fed up of the secrets! Tell me!" I stood up and slammed my hand down on the table.

There was no reply.

I got away from the table and ran straight to my room. Running seemed to be the only thing I knew.

I slammed my door and locked it. Where was I being thrown to next?

There was a gentle knock on the door.

"Maria" said Robin smoothly.

I leant against the door and slid down it.

"What Robin?"

"Open the door please" He sounded like a lost puppy.

"No. I need sometime to myself"

"I'm here for you" he said.

"Please Robin, come back later" I snapped, a little too much. I felt bad for rejecting him.

I stood up and went to my bed, taking out my small satchel from underneath, filling it with my sketches, a jumper and the key for the twisted tree. I needed to get away from everything for a while. It was risky but it had to be done.

I silently pushed up the window, took hold of the rope hanging down and climbed to the dusty road beneath the window.

Robin would be furious I was going without him.

I brushed myself off once I reached the bottom, slung my bag across my shoulder and headed off to the tree.

I thought long and hard about my little white horse and she appeared in the trees, spreading white light everywhere. I slowly approached her and she willingly let me climb onto her back. I took a handful of mane in my hand and let my other rest on my leg as we carried on walking down the lane. I was in no rush. All I had to do was to think of the pace and way I wanted to go and she would take me right there.