Chapter 39

More and more days passed where Robin was rotting away in that cell. I was forbidden by Uncle and by John to even go near him. It was completely and utterly ridiculous. I tried piecing everything together but nothing was right. Robin would never steal, let alone from his sister. He just wouldn't.

It was making me stressed that I didn't know what was happening and I wanted answers. But the ones I had come up with weren't what I was expecting.

"Uncle!" I shouted through the castle.

He was sat at the great table reading the newspaper. "Good heavens child! What on earth -"

I slammed my hand down on the table. "Why haven't you properly questioned Robin yet?" I demanded.

Uncle sighed "Maria, this process takes a while-"

"That isn't the real answer though is it?" I tested him.

"Well" He sighed again "I didn't want to assume it was him, at all but-"

"Cut to the chase!" I cut in again.

"Robin isn't good for you Maria"

I choked "Excuse me?"

"He isn't a suitable husband for you, I know what you had in mind" Uncle admitted.

"You must be having a laugh, Uncle you haven't been paying much attention to me lately. If you had, you would know that Robin isn't who I thought he is"

"So you don't believe he's changed?"

"That's not the point!" I retaliated.

"Maria, I do believe you have yourself wrong" Uncle sighed.

"I do not, I don't think -"

"You do. John is the most presented, clever and charming boy around here Maria, I think he shall do wonders for you" Uncle proudly said.

"Uncle, let's not forget that without Robin, I would not be alive now" I pointed out "John is an amazing friend, he has been there for me and even though Robin and I, we're not stable, I couldn't marry John. I couldn't. It's not right nor fair at the moment whilst I'm feeling vulnerable. I'm sorry for ruining your visions Uncle"

He looked struck.

Then it occurred to me "Did you set this whole thing up?"

"Of course not! Maria, I may have opposite thoughts to you but I would never set this situation up!" Uncle explained. "Loveday's jewels were really stolen. It was just coincidence that John happened to turn up when things were becoming rough. Look at the change in you Maria. You've become more grown up, independent and most of all a polite young lady. Robin couldn't give you that after all he's a rude -"

I put my hands up "Enough enough, I understand. Well I don't but I've heard enough. But Uncle you said yourself that Robin looked after me more than you ever could. But then again, you never tried did you?" I realised my words were hurtful but I meant them. I didn't wait around for an answer, my mind was already full. I just simply left and walked outside to Perwinkle. I whisked her tack on and led her outside to mount. She was in her usual feisty mood, which gave me something to concentrate on as I trailed through the forest.

Was I still in love with Robin? Was that why I was sticking up for him? No, no of course not. I couldn't. But I could. I had made the situation seem a hundred times worse in my head.

Why would Robin start to ignore me and then John appear and Uncle suddenly wanted me to marry him? It didn't make sense. And only one person knows, who almost told me himself. Alex.