Chapter 23

It was hazey and dark but warm and cozy. I smelt flowers and lots of them. I squinted my eyes slightly and couldn't see anything apart from a pair of eyes looking at me

"Robin!" Jessie called looking out the door.

There was a rumble of footsteps and Robin came running into the room.

"Oh my prescious" He soothed kneeling down to me and he gently brushed his thumb under my eye "You are awake"

"I realised" I whispered to him. But even whispering caused me pain and I shut my eyes.

"Loveday!" Robin called. She came running in with water and just about every medical thing around.

"Sweet Maria, where do you feel pain?" She asked me shoving Robin away who just moved further down the bed.

"Just about everywhere" I whispered to her gritting my teeth "How long have I been sleeping?"

"Oh gosh, many days" Loveday replied placing a cold cloth on my head.

I looked at Jessie "Why are you still here?"

"I just wanted to make sure you would be okay" he said smiling and Robin rolled his eyes. I smiled at Robin's jealousy. "But now I know for sure that you are. I shall leave for London now. I'll see you soon Maria and get better quickly" He placed a light kiss on my forehead and was about to leave the room when Robin caught his arm. At first I thought Jessie was in trouble and so did he.

"Don't tell anyone there what happened" Robin told him.

Jessie nodded and left giving a final glance back to me.

"Maria, I am sorry to tell you that you will have to stay in bed for the rest of the day just so you won't injure yourself further" Loveday told me "Should you need anything get Robin to call for me. I don't expect he will leave your side" Loveday smiled at me kissed my cheek and left the room.

I sighed. I hated being in bed but I couldn't think of anywhere else I would want to be.

"I am so terribly sorry Maria, that you have ended up like this" Robin said taking my hand.

I wasn't going to argue. After all it was his fault that he wasn't back in time and left me hanging by a branch almost watching me be stoned to death. "You did the right thing however, if you had come for me you wouldn't have changed those men's mind and Alex would be even stronger"

Robin shook his head "No I did not. I should have taken you otherwise you wouldn't be hurt now"

"Robin I am fine. Just a little rest and I shall be back to normal"

"But what if you lose your trust in me? You would have wanted me to help you" Robin worried.

I sighed again "Robin, I don't blame you. All I have is bruising which will be gone in no time. What you did was right and I know you did it for me otherwise I probably would be dead now. Trust wise, it's slowly being restored"

"I am just glad you are not" Robin said kissing my cheek. "Please don't lose your trust in me"

"I won't" I whispered, shutting my eyes and falling asleep.

* * * * * * * * * *

I woke up the following morning feeling much better. Robin was asleep on the bed at my side and a little light came through the drawn curtains.

I lay there and played with Robin's curls and feathers for a little while until he woke up.

"Oh morning" He said, dozey eyed.