Chapter 5

As I awoke the next morning, my mind was still buzzing full of fresh ideas to save the valley once again. This time it was going to be slightly more difficult than locating some pearls. This required cunning intelligence, and being one step ahead of the game.

Robin, curled up in a sea of blankets and pillows, was asleep on the arm chair by the fire. He looked so peaceful and calm, a sight I wasn't used to, so I took a moment to appreciate it whilst I lay in bed.

I took the opportunity to dress for the day ahead whilst he was asleep. I pulled out a grey velvet dress from the drawer and tied my matted, frizzy hair into a loose ponytail.

I glimpsed outside and noticed it must have already been midday. I hadn't slept so peacefully a long time. Often I would get nightmares of that fateful night. Visions of being on the cliff edge all alone, the storm rolling in over the horizon, still haunted me most nights. But, just sometimes, there would be someone there with me, telling me it would all work out, and the valley would thrive once again.

I was surprised and Heliotrope not Uncle Benjamin had been to see where I was. I could have run away, or been kidnapped in the middle of the night, and neither of them would know. They were most likely happily reading away or out on business and had forgotten.

My stomach viscously growled, demanding some nutrition. As I was about to creep out the door, Robin groaned from the chair.

"Why do I get the feeling it's midday?" He croaked.

I smiled. "Because it is, Robin."

"Oh no," he scrambled up from the chair. "Sorry, I overslept."

I shrugged. "Doesn't bother me. I only just woke up myself. I've never slept so soundly. Besides, let's go to Marmaduke. See if he can tell us anything."

Robin nodded. He picked up his hat from the floor before trying to place it on the mess of his curls.

I shook my head. "That just won't do." I took a step closer, until we were just a breath away, and flattened his curls until his hat sat nicely on his head. I adjusted his feathers so they were straight, and took a step back to admire. I couldn't imagine him in any other attire.

As we were about to leave, Robin paused in the doorway. "Won't your uncle see me?" He asked.

"Don't worry. I know a short cut." I assured him. I grabbed his hand and led him down the staircase, and right down to the West Wing, now reopened now there was nothing to hide. At the end of the corridor was another staircase, leading us straight down to the hallway below, and past the huge mirror that showed your true self. 

We then got to the mirror and Robin stopped to look. "What does it do?" He asked. I had forgotten he'd never actually been welcome in the manor, therefore hadn't had a chance to actually explore the wonders of this magical house. 

"It shows who you really are." I explained. I took a step closer to him.

A few moments later, a warm red colour reflects at Robin's heart, beating quickly, before splitting in half to fly to my own. Both hearts beat in unison before flying away, and joining together as one. By the expression on Robin's face, I think he knew what this mirror was implying. 

He frowned. "Okay, I think that's enough of that creepy magic stuff for now."

I smiled and continued to lead him down the corridor to the kitchen. As we entered, Robin placed a gentle hand on my shoulder and anxiously glanced around the kitchen.