Chapter 37

"Charlotte?!" I exclaimed. It couldn't be her could it? What was she doing in Moonacre?

"Maria! Oh my gosh! I didn't expect to see you!" Charlotte wrapped me in a tight hug.

"Well, I do live here" I laughed.

"Indeed you do! How have you been?" She asked.

"Great actually!" I lied, I was far from great.

"That didn't sound too convincing, we'll have to catch up this evening!"

"Oh I already -" I started but back tracked "Actually, no, I'm free tonight. I don't have a stable home at the minute but you could just come to my little home I suppose"

"Sounds great! I must dash, Mama is waiting" Charlotte said, hugging me one last time and rushing off into the crowd. But I thought Charlotte didn't have a mother?

It was one crazy day, was all I could say.

* * * * * * * * *

I quickly changed out of my informal clothes and into a dark purple long dress with black lace up shoes. I didn't want to over do it just for meeting Charlotte but I still hadn't told John I wasn't meeting him, but I supposed he could find out in his own time. It was just turning dark when there was a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I called.

"It's John. Can I come in?"

"Oh, yes, please come in, I have something to tell you quickly" I said, unlocking the door.

He entered dressed in a navy blue cable knit jumper with a blue shirt underneath. Looked quite nice really. "What's the matter?" He saw the frown on my face.

I snapped back to reality, "Oh, nothing's the matter. It's just that I ran into an old friend and I haven't seen her in quite a few months, so I told her we could have dinner together. I'm sorry, maybe I could see you tomorrow?" I suggested.

He looked quite sad, "I'm away tomorrow on business unfortunately and don't return until Sunday, in two days"

"Oh that's a shame. I'm sure we'll think of something" I said.

"I hope so. I'll be off then, I hope you have a wonderful evening Maria" John turned and headed out the door.

"You too!" I called after him. I felt bad that I had hurt his feelings, he seemed so kind after all but Alex's words kept filling my mind 'Robin told you to stay away from John for a reason' but it didn't make sense one bit...

Seeing as Charlotte had no clue as to where she was going, I decided to meet her in the village to find somewhere there to eat. The bar was quite rowdy on a Thursday evening so it was best to avoid there and instead go to a quiet place on the corner that served the most divine food. Charlotte sat down wearing a pretty red dress with a black cardigan, opposite me as we sat outside by the path. There was a small candle in the centre of the table and grape vines twisting and swirling above us.

"This valley is so beautiful Maria" She complimented staring up into the night sky.

"It is wonderful" I agreed "I just wish I could have grown up here, it is so much better than busy London streets or the rich people walking past with their noses in the air"

"Not forgetting that we were once like that" Charlotte added.

"That is true. Talking about London, what brought you here then?" I asked.

"Well, I graduated from the college and I am now a qualified teacher, ready to teach anywhere I want" Charlotte stated proudly, smiling down at the table.