Chapter 20

Maria's P.O.V

"I must warn you that the ride is not very comfortable" I said to Jessie. We were standing on the grand steps outside the college waiting for Digweed and the carriage to arrive.

"I don't mind, I'm used to it" Jessie said laughing. Digweed swiftly arrived, and the gentleman that he was Jessie took both my bag and his own, whilst Digweed sweetly took Ms Heliotrope's after giving her a delicate kiss on the cheek. 

We climbed into the familiar carriage with Miss Heliotrope at one side and Jessie and I at the other. We played a few games of cards until we reached the gate where the porteress was. Uncle had hired her just before I left to manage the gate to stop any unwanted people entering. She kindly welcomed us through and I put away the cards as Jessie was intrigued by the beauty of my valley. He was almost out the window whilst staring at the scenery and the hills and spotted the castle at the top.

"Wow, is that where we are going?" Jessie asked.

"Yes it is. It's a shame I can't take you to the manor house. Unfortunately it is occupied by an unwanted guest" I sighed.

"Is that Duncan? Your other Uncle?"

"Yes unfortunately" I was surprised Jessie remembered when I told him.

We soon made it to the foot of the hill and we all clambered out of the carriage. Miss Heliotrope linked arms with Digweed as they strolled with her light luggage up the hill. 

I took my own bag and one of Jessie's so that he could explore the grounds. He looked like a child that could run for the first time. 

The castle door was insight and I skipped to the door. I walked inside and everywhere was filled with flowers: roses, lilies and geraniums, pink ones especially. But then it dawned on me that only two people knew my love for pink flowers. Loveday and Robin. I brushed aside the thought of it being Robin, he had probably left here and gone to live far away in the forest.

I beamed as one of the people I had missed the most waltzed down the stairs.

"Uncle!" I exclaimed, rushing up to him.

He enveloped me in a enormous hug "My dear, sweet girl Maria! It is so good to see you. The place hasn't been the same since you left"

"How do you mean Uncle?" Everything looked wonderful on the way in.

"The flowers, trees, grass, even the moon has been dim and almost dead with out you around. Only since yesterday when we announced your return that things have perked up and been alive again" Uncle spoke with great concern.

"Oh dear me" I looked at the ground. I heard feet shuffle behind me "Oh! Uncle, this is Jessie one of my good friends from the college. He wanted to do a project on the history of Moonacre Valley so who better to talk to than you" I moved so that Jessie was in sight of Uncle.

"Good day Sir" Jessie said shaking Uncle's hand.

"Good day to you Jessie. It is so nice to know that Maria has made an excellent friend in London" Uncle greeted.

"Thank you Sir" Jessie replied, obviously touched at Uncle's comment.

"Come Jessie, let me show you to your room" I said gathering his things.

"Oh Maria, he'll be staying in Robin's room" Uncle called after me.

Robin must be gone then. I sighed in relief.

I pushed open my old rooms door and not to my surprise Robin's bed wasn't made and his clothes were all over the floor. There was a small rug and pillow on the floor where my bed used to be. I stood there for a few moments on what to do when the door opened again and Robin entered with a bare chest and a towel around his waist. Quite the entrance. Quite the sight. Maria for goodness sake, you hate the boy.