thirteen.

SEBASTIAN MOORE was one of the smartest people in Mission Creek High, rivaling Chase Davenport when it came to grades.

Being captain of the school's swim team Sebastian was up there on the school's popularity list. And as a result of that Sophie had known of the guy's existence, but she'd never actually met or seen him before yesterday. All she knew was he was a good swimmer and led the team to countless victories throughout the year.

Sophie had no clue of his founding of the baking club or of his brainiac-ness until she had asked Chase about him. Once he heard her mention his name, he recalled with a sour face how Sebastian had stolen his spot in the school's "highly selective" chess tournament team and was Chase's number one competition for the title of Valedictorian.

And at the mention of the chess tournaments Sophie supposed the fact he wasn't as high ranking as some of the other athletes wasn't that much of a surprise anymore.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Sophie cheered as Adam, Marcus, and Chase went onstage. She had decided not to join the band as she couldn't find an instrument that was easy enough to play. She ended up going home minutes after she arrived at the Davenport house.

While she watched from the sidelines, she felt a hand grab onto her shoulder. She turned, expecting it to be Bree, but instead of brown waves entering her vision, it was blonde.

Stephanie.

"Do you need something?" she asked quietly. They hadn't spoken since she was offered the spot of Cheer Captain. Stephanie was practically in hiding, as the teasing from the school still hadn't stopped.

"Why aren't you hanging out with the girls?" Stephanie asked, surprisingly calm.

Sophie blinked. "I hung out with them the other day," she said. It was true - after school, Krystal had invited the team to get frozen yogurt.

Stephanie rolled her eyes, her calm demeanor dropping. "Jasmine's been telling me otherwise. Don't play dumb, Sophie. You're too dumb to play dumb. You've been ditching the team to play with Chip and that freak family of his."

"-His name is Chase. And they're not freaks." Sophie frowned, feeling the need to defend her new friends.

"Whatever you say," the ex-cheerleader scoffed. "Soph, you have to realize that things are different now. You're the most popular girl at school, you can't be seen talking to losers. Him and his sister included."

Before Sophie could defend them any more, Stephanie sighed. "I'm just trying to help, Sophie. It won't be long before the school will turn on you like they turned on me. And I seriously doubt those nobodies will be the exception. Stay away from them before it's too late Soph, or they will ruin you."

Stephanie looked away from her and Sophie followed her line of vision, seeing the boys play onstage. She watched as Chase played his electric guitar, her eyes meeting his for a second. He smiled and waved at her, messing up the music for a moment when his hand left the strings, earning glares from Adam and Marcus. He went back to playing and Sophie slowly waved back, feeling Stephanie's eyes burn into her.

"I see now," Stephanie murmured. She shook her head in disbelief before looking at her again. "Whatever. Just know when it's your turn to be the laughing stock of the school, I'll be in the janitor's closet."

She began walking away but turned back, as if she remembered something. "And by the way, I couldn't care less if you accept the position. I'm already off the squad, and if someone from that team has to be captain I'd rather it be you."

Stephanie strutted away and Sophie turned back to the show, now suddenly not in the mood for music. One of her problems was eliminated but now another one appeared. People didn't really care about who she hung out with, right? Surely Stephanie was just exaggerating things.

Despite her attempts to reassure herself, Sophie couldn't help but flinch when she saw someone laugh in the corner of her eye. 

"Are you okay?"

Sophie looked up and was suddenly aware of the three boys standing in front of her. Chase was looking at her worriedly while Adam and Marcus went to sit in the two open seats next to her.

"Yeah, I'm okay..."

Chase nodded, though the concern on his face hadn't left. "We had to stop early, Bree and Mr. Dav- I mean, Dad, wanted to take over. Something about father-daughter bonding..." He glanced at her, hoping she didn't catch his mistake, unaware of the fact she hadn't been paying attention at all.

He noticed her glum look and furrowed his brows. "Hey, are you sure you're fine?" She nodded but Chase's expression didn't change. It was at that moment he remembered what he saw in the audience while he was playing. "Did Stephanie say something? Don't listen to her, she's just trying to get into your head."

"Stephanie didn't do anything," she lied. "I'm okay, Chase."

Chase paused for a moment but then his face contorted in anger. "Did Sebastian say anything again? I swear when I see him I'll-"

"-Chase nothing happened." Sophie laughed nervously, putting a hand on his shoulder. The longer she stayed, the worse she felt and the more conscious of people's eyes she became. She really had to leave.

She looked at her wrist, though there was no watch there. She gasped, showing Chase her empty arm before standing. "Would you look at the time? It's getting late, I better go. See you tomorrow!" She waved before standing and rushing out of the gym, her heart racing.

A/N: I can't believe we're only 13 chapters in. I swear we're gonna start going through the episodes really soon! I'm gonna try to update twice this week lol

Who/what do you want to see more of? Who/what do you want to see less of? Do you have any ideas for any upcoming chapters? Don't be afraid to be harsh with me, I really want to know your guys' opinions.

Anyways, don't forget to comment, vote, and/or share! Feedback is always appreciated :)