twenty-one.

SOPHIE CHASED after Leo, the latter running after Chase desperately with a remote control in his hand.

The girl was beyond confused. Wasn't Spike supposed to come out when there was danger? Why was he making an appearance during a talent show? 

"Goody. I love it when all the easy targets are gathered in one place," Spike growled.

Sophie's jaw dropped as she and Leo caught up to him. Leo mumbled something about a signal director before hitting the button on his remote, to no avail. They watched as Spike roared before stalking up to a majorette and twisting her baton.

"Come on, piece of junk..." Leo muttered, hitting the buttons repeatedly.

The remote seemingly only amped up Spike's aggression, as he then battled a karateka and launched his fighting stick into the wall, nearly striking Leo.

Leo hit the buttons more frantically and Sophie grabbed his hand. "Leo, stop!"

He took a look at the once again roaring Spike and let out a long "oh".

Spike ran to the water fountain and ripped out the top before attempting to drink the water that sprayed out.  

"Save a cup, save the planet!" Leo announced painfully to the watching student body. 

Sophie let out a breath as she watched "Spike" struggle to drink the water. She spared a glance at the remote in Leo's hand and suddenly all her interactions with the Davenports came rushing back to her head. 

Maybe they weren't superheroes...

No, the girl shook her head immediately. It didn't make sense - if they weren't superheroes, how could they explain their powers? Who was Spike? And what about the bat cave?

Sophie closed her eyes to think but before she could ponder any longer, Spike had ran off to torment his next victim.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Sophie had no idea how they got to this point. 

All she remembered was Chase going rampant around the school before destroying a popcorn bust of Principal Perry. The two then got into a roast battle before one of them challenged the other to a wrestling match.

Now they were here, with Principal Perry pinning poor Chase to the floor.

"Why am I being smothered by a female Mexican wrestler in a pantsuit?" Chase choked out weakly in his normal voice.

Glad to see his return, Sophie went to kneel beside his head and pet his hair softly. "Shh, it's all a dream..."

Because of the destruction of Popcorn Perry, Principal Perry decided to call off the talent show completely. While the students began clearing out, Sophie stopped at the gym to retrieve her tote bag she'd abandoned while chasing after Spike.

In the quiet of the gym, Sophie couldn't help but return to her earlier thoughts and grow even more confused.

If the Davenports weren't superheroes, then what were they? There was nothing she could think of that could account for all their little mishaps. Looking back she wasn't sure if she was just hallucinating all those times.

"Hey."

Sophie looked back at the gym door to see Chase standing awkwardly. 

"I'll be there in a second," she called out, retrieving and stuffing back the items that had fallen out of her bag.

She went to pick up the last pen that had fallen on the floor when suddenly another hand grabbed it. She looked up to protest when she was met with Chase standing in front of her, holding the pen with a small smile on his face. He dropped the pen into her bag before sighing.

"Are you mad at me?"

Sophie blinked, shocked, and cocked her head. "No, why would I be mad?"

Chase let out another breath before dropping into the seat beside her. Sophie followed suit. "I don't know, it's just.. Leo told me what happened... I was doing some crazy stuff. And I ruined the talent show."

"You didn't ruin it Chase," Sophie frowned. "Perry ruined it. And you didn't have autonomy so it's not your fault. Okay?"

"Okay," Chase whispered. "I just feel-"

"-Nuh uh. No more of that," The blonde cut him off with a small smile, a smile that Chase had no choice but to reciprocate. 

"Okay." 

The two sat in comfortable silence, and Sophie opted to lean her head on the boy's shoulder.

She had to admit she missed his company, even though it had only been a few days. She supposed she could pin it on her wanting to refresh his aura after Caitlin had tainted it the last time she'd seen him.

"Can I ask you something?" Sophie mumbled, eyes focused on a piece of gum left on the floor.

"Sure," Chase replied softly.

"You're really not a superhero?"

Chase laughed awkwardly and let his gaze leave the girl beside him. "No, not a superhero." 

"Then what are you?"

After hearing nothing but silence Sophie sat properly to look at her friend. He was quiet, looking at the floor with a hesitant expression.

"I can't tell you."

Another round of silence followed and this time Chase turned his head, only to find Sophie looking at him with the same sweet smile.

"I understand," she spoke with a nod. She laid back on his shoulder and tucked her arm into his, feeling the events of that day starting to get to her. "You can't know everything in the world."

"Right," Chase gulped and rested his head on top of hers, the kind look on her face replaying in his mind. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad if he told her...

Just as soon as it came he shook the thought away. He couldn't just risk his family's lives like that. 

Still, he guessed Sophie was right. He may be programmed to know everything in the world, but Chase still couldn't seem to figure out the feeling that took over every time she looked at him.

A/N: this chapter feels so rushed but I'll fix it later :P

I'm going to be so busy these next two weeks it's crazy but oddly enough I feel more motivated than ever to update (I think it's the procrastination reversing/moving onto my studies )

Updating on a Monday (PST) may not be the best idea but if it's out there it's out there yanno!

Hope u guys liked this chapter, lmk what u guys wanna see next <3