fourteen.

THE STUDENTS OF MISSION CREEK WATCHED as Sophie O'Neil and the rest of the cheer squad made their way through the halls. Nobody would have suspected anything different in the group if it weren't for the absence of a certain cheerleader and the blue and white bow that rested perfectly in Sophie's hair.

People cleared a path for the girls as they walked by, stopping to stare and whisper. The feeling of extra eyes on her made Sophie feel uneasy, and she caught herself looking to her side, expecting the sight of her leader there to set an example. Except her leader wasn't there. She had replaced her, and now she had to be the one to set the example for her team.

Sophie had accepted the position of cheer captain and she was beginning to regret her decision - it was only her first day and she already felt the attention was getting to her. She was used to people staring, but not to this extent. She felt like a zoo animal.

All she wanted to do was go to the bathroom, was that really so fascinating?

The girls finally reached the door to the girls' bathroom and Sophie paused when she noticed the team beginning to follow her in. She smiled awkwardly, "You guys don't have to come with me, I'm fine."

After more convincing, the girls finally backed off and Sophie let out a sigh before heading to the mirror to fix her ponytail.

"You know what, I don't think I want to be a cheerleader anymore."

Sophie didn't need to look to know who the voice belonged to, but she did. Bree stood a couple of feet away, washing her hands while looking at her reflection in the mirror. "Only half-joking," she clarified.

"I'm sorry I left early last night," Sophie apologized. It was only after she came home that she realized she had left during Bree's performance and she hadn't said goodbye to anyone but Chase.

"No, I get it, curfews and stuff..." She reassured her. The two fell into a comfortable silence until Bree spoke up again. "If you're not busy, do you wanna come over this weekend? Marcus will be there, we just have to get Mr.- sorry, dad's, permission first."

"I'd love to!" Sophie beamed. She had never been to a sleepover without Stephanie or the cheerleaders, and hanging out with the Davenports usually was fun. Not to mention, they would be hanging out in private - no need to worry about others watching them.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Sophie sat on the couch, watching TV while she kept an ear out for the sound of her phone ringing.

After having their talk in the restroom, Bree let Sophie know that she would text her if her dad ended up agreeing to the sleepover. She still had yet to get the text, but she wasn't too worried - she was already entertained with the talking objects in her television.

"Squirrels can't talk," she giggled to herself, shaking her head as the talking squirrel came onto the screen.

The sound of the doorbell rang throughout the house and Sophie groaned, pausing the show before getting up to answer. As usual, she was home alone so she didn't have to worry about her parents getting concerned.

Unlocking the door, Sophie opened it wide only to be faced with the person she least expected.

"Markle?"

"Marcus," the boy corrected. Sophie nodded suspiciously. He had a sleeping bag in one hand and his backpack around his shoulder. Why was he at her house?

"What are you doing here?" She asked with narrowed eyes.

Marcus sighed, a look of nervousness washing over his face. "I'm sorry if I'm intruding, it's just... Chase said I could sleepover at his house for the weekend but he hasn't updated me on whether or not his dad said yes, and my dad already left and my grandma still isn't here yet and I really don't wanna be alone!" He said everything so quickly and Sophie found herself only barely catching what he said.

The girl tilted her head. "Why aren't you at Chase's house then?"

He looked down, looking shameful, almost. "That's the thing, Chase mentioned inviting you and I really don't want to go there by myself... I don't want to show up uninvited but I know if you come with me it'll be less awkward because you're popular and they like you while I'm just the dumb new kid and I don't want to lose the only friends I have because Leo already hates me, plus my grandma just died!" He rushed out before breaking into tears, sniffling as he wiped his eyes.

The blonde stared at the brunette boy with wide eyes. It was a lot to take in, but once she finally registered what he said she did feel bad for him. He looked at her with pleading eyes and she caved in, leaving her spot at the door to grab the stuff she had ready for when she left.

It wasn't until when they started walking that a question she should have asked long ago popped into her mind.

"How did you know where I lived?"

A/N: And alas, we're on the Mission: Space episode!

I just wanna say, thank you all so so much for 42K reads! Honestly, when I first made this fanfiction I wasn't expecting people to actually read or enjoy it but I'm so happy people do. I am so grateful for every single one of you, whether you're a silent reader, a commenter, or maybe a mix of both, ily guys so much. Thank you for reading <3 <3

(Also, I do read every one of my comments and you guys literally make my day. Seeing people give their feedback, get references, and/or feel a certain way towards characters just makes me so happy.)

Anyways, enough about how much I love u. Don't forget to comment, vote, and/or share! Feedback is always appreciated :)