twenty.

SOPHIE AND SEBASTIAN walked through the halls together, ignoring the weird looks sent their way. They flipped through the yearbook pages, reading off the superlatives their classmates recieved.

"Most likely to become a housewife?" Sophie gasped when she read her superlative. "I would never marry a house!"

"Not the meaning, Soph," Sebastian patted her shoulder gently. His eyes scanned the page before spotting his own superlative a few rows before hers. "Most likely to become president. Nice!"

The two walked until they found the usual circular bench, taking seats before continuing to look through the books' pages. They were reading out more superlatives when they were interrupted by Chase. He came over with a deck of cards in his hands, Leo watching with unimpressed eyes.

"Sophie," He greeted the girl with a smile and completely ignored the boy next to her. She was gonna say something but then remembered the two weren't exactly the best of friends. "Pick a card. Any card."

She picked out the 6 of hearts before putting it back in the deck as per his instructions. He shuffled the cards before pulling one out, the 5 of hearts. "Is this your card?"

"No," Sebastian deadpanned from beside her.

"This one?" He tried again. Sophie shook her head.

"This one?" He pulled out another to no avail. "This one?"

The boy continued pulling out cards frantically before Leo interrupted, holding up the card she'd actually chosen.

"Boom," he showed the card off and Sophie gasped excitedly. "Magic."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Sophie sat in the audience of the school talent show with Jasmine and her boyfriend Jason, chewing on her popcorn excitedly.

Though she wasn't able to show up to the auditions, when Chase called to tell her he made it she made sure she'd be able to come watch him perform.

As one of the performers stepped off stage, Perry stepped on. "Okay, next up we have the amazing Chase, the one magician whose magic wand is bigger than he is!"

Sophie sat up as Chase emerged from the doorway, swishing his magic cape dramatically. He grabbed a chair and stepped onto the stage before placing it down. "Thank you, thank you ladies and gentlemen! For my first trick, I will move that chair... with my mind!"

Suddenly the gymnasium lights flashed and thunder boomed, and Sophie's eyes grew wide.

"And... hmm!" He motioned at the chair with a look of concentration on his face, wiggling his fingers awkwardly when nothing happened. People began whispering and he stood straight.

"Isn't this the same guy who did the pickle thing at the dance?" Jasmine whispered to Sophie with a condescending giggle.

Sophie furrowed her brows as Perry yelled out, "Boring! Bring out the girl who looks eerily similar to a giraffe!"

Chase looked back to the chair. "I don't know what happened!"

Perry smiled evilly. "I do, you stink! Get off the stage before you incur the wrath of my rotten tomatoes!"

Jasmine booed loudly, leading the rest of the student body to follow. Sophie glared at the brunette and turned around, attempting to get the rest of her peers to stop.

"No, no, no, no! Please! I can do it, I really can!" Chase tried and Sophie felt her heart plummeting to the bottom of her chest.

He crouched suddenly, motioning to the chair again with a grunt and Jasmine cackled loudly, slapping Jason's letterman jacket-clad arm as he laughed along.

Soon enough the entire gym was filled with laughter, and Sophie was reminded of the dance. Only this time, she didn't think Chase was trying to get everyone to make fun of him.

"This is awful," Perry snickered in between her laughs.

"Do the pickle dance!" Jason called out. Everyone's laughter grew louder and Sophie felt her frustration growing along with it.

She looked to the stage and saw Chase looking around, clutching his hat anxiously as even his own teachers laughed at him. Their eyes met for a split second and Sophie frowned sadly.

Suddenly he ripped off his hat and threw off his cape. "HEY!" He growled out in a deep, distorted voice.

Sophie's jaw dropped as she recognized the voice from his first day of school, when she witnessed Chase in his (what she liked to call) hero form for the first time.

"You want to see me move that chair with my head?!" He growled and picked up the chair before smashing it against his head, splitting it in two.

"Wow!" Perry clapped excitedly and the crowd that had only just been laughing at him began clapping too.

Leo rushed up on stage and Sophie tried to process what was going on as Chase flexed his muscles. Perry followed with a big smile. "Well, there's a fine line between entertaining and disturbing, and... I think we've crossed it! So, let's take a brief intermission."

The lights came back on and Sophie winced. She spotted Leo and Chase head off stage and she walked over to them, just in time to witness Chase bite off a ceramic teacup and spit it back out. "Tasty!"

Within a few seconds Chase's growling stopped and he stood straight. "Leo, what just happened?" He asked nervously in his normal voice.

Sophie snuck up behind him and crossed her arms. "You just broke that teacup with your teeth," she said loudly.

Chase's eyes widened and he turned to face her, bringing his hand up to his mouth to caress his canines. He whipped his head back to Leo, suddenly more angry than nervous. "Leo..."

The boy smiled anxiously before whispering something to his brother's ear, making the latter's eyes widen ever more. 

Chase looked at Sophie and held up his pointer finger, excusing himself and his brother momentarily. She watched as he pulled him a few feet away before scolding him like a parent would a child. Leo then got in Chase's face before backing up cockily. 

"WHAT DID YOU SAY TO ME FRUIT FLY?!"

And just as quickly as he left, Spike was back.

a/n: hey.. how yall doinn

sorry this chapter isn't really a new chapter, I just changed the beginning and the end of the one I left with. I didnt even realize its been so many months until I was rereading everything and checking the comments ;(

!! I changed Sebastian's part of chapter 13, if you wanna go back to read his introduction to see what'd changed youre more than welcome to :) I also deleted the last chapter.

I just got my laptop fixed again, and I think I'm good to start updating again but we'll see.

Sorry for keeping everyone waiting, ily all and I'm so grateful for everyone reading. lmk what u wanna see more of <3