Chapter 23

Scarlett's P.O.V

"Oh my God! Seriously?" I exclaimed, clutching my stomach from laughing too hard.

Alex has been here every night, after visiting hours for the past few months that I've been in here. When he couldn't make it, he at least called to make sure I was okay. It's more of an effort than what Cade was making. All he did was drop cookies off for a nurse to deliver to me every day. He didn't even bother to drop in the majority of the time, but I don't know why I expected much from him anyway. 

"Yes! The kid literally pissed himself and is looking at me as if I should do something about it," Alex said, trying to contain his laughter.

"He was probably just scared of you. It's his first day working for you and he already fucked up. Not many people make it out alive from that," I replied as I munched on another chocolate chip cookie.

"Well, you're right on that. I killed him. I can't have those kinds of mistakes being made. He cost me half a million dollars right there," he said, leaning back in his chair.

"Of course you did," I replied with an eye roll. "It was his first day, Alex. He at least deserved another chance,"

"In this business, you don't get second chances. He learned that the hard way," he replied. I could tell he felt somewhat bad about it, after all, he was only 18. "Anyway, what's been up with you?" he asked.

"Well, I've been standing for much longer periods of time now, so there's that," I said, smiling to myself at my mini victory.

"Baby, that's awesome. Have you tried taking a few steps yet?" he asked.

"No, I'm too much of a coward to do that," I replied.

"Babe, why?" he asked.

"I get why babies just stand there all awkward as shit when they're learning how to walk. This shit's scary," I replied.

"But you've done it before, Scar," he said, trying to reason with me.

"I know, I know. But that doesn't make it any less scary, you know?" I asked. "Plus, the doctors don't know what's wrong either. I've been stuck in this hospital bed for three months now, and my legs aren't as strong as they should be. I do all the exercises and take the meds and everything, but they just aren't building up like they should," I replied, defeat evident in my voice.

"Hey, hey. Look at me. We'll figure it out, alright?" he said, taking my face in his hands. "Matter of fact, give me one second," he said getting up and moving things around.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Well, it's 3 A.M and there's nothing better to do. So I'm gonna become Jesus and make you walk again," he replied.

"Oh my God," I said laughing.

"C'mon, c'mon. Up, up, up," he said, taking my hands in his and helping me out the bed. "Okay, I want you to take a deep breath and relax," he said and I do as he says, closing my eyes and breathing in and out.

"Alright, good, good. What do you feel?" he asked me.

"I feel the ground beneath my feet," I said, wiggling my toes a bit.

"Good, good. What else?" he asked me.

"I feel your hands on mine and the cool wind from the window,"

"Good. What else?"

"I can hear-," I started.

"No, no. Focus on what you're feeling, nothing else," he said.

"I feel your breath on me, your hands now on my waist," I replied.

"Good. Now all these things that you've told me, how do they make you feel?" he asked.

"Safe. They make me feel safe," I replied.

"Good girl. I've got you no matter what, okay?" he said, his voice soft and sensual as I feel his lips brush against mine.

"Okay," I replied, my voice just a whisper. Tilting my head u just a bit, I connect our lips and the world around us disappears. Here in this moment, it was just him and I. With his hands on my waist and my hand in his hair, the other around his neck, this was where I wanted to be for the rest of my life.

Fuck whoever was after me.

Fuck Cade.

Fuck everyone and everything.

As we pulled away, I finally opened my eyes and looked at his chocolate brown ones that were staring back at me.

"You're strong and you're amazing. Never forget that," he said to me, his voice a low whisper.

"I won't," I replied.

"Hey, look," he said, nodding his head in the direction of my bed.

"Holy shit," I replied. I had just walked from my bed to the doorway.

"Nothing to be afraid of, right?" he asked.

"Ri- Woah!" I exclaimed, gripping onto Alex for support.

"I got you. I got you," he said holding me by my waist. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"Yeah, I think I just used all my energy so my legs are giving out again," I replied. Nodding in understanding, he picks me up bridal style and places me back in my bed. Putting the chairs and other things he moved back in place, he picks up his jacket to put it on.

"Can you stay with me tonight?" I asked, grabbing his wrist. "I know you usually leave, but-," I started.

"Of course," he replied as he put his jacket back down. "In the chair or?" he asked.

"I'd like it if you held me, actually. Just until I fall sleep," I replied.

"Of course," he replied, a small smile on his lips. Climbing in next to me, he puts an arm around me and helps me get comfortable.

"Thank you," I said as I snuggled into him.

"Don't thank me. I'd do anything for you," he replied, kissing my forehead. I felt safe, and at peace.

But unbeknownst to both of us, our secret meetings were not so secret anymore.