Chapter 24

Scarlett's P.O.V

Today was the day. I was finally getting out of this godforsaken hospital and going home to my comfy bed. Three and a half months I've waited, and I sure as fuck wasn't going to let anyone or anything get in my way.

"Hey stranger," someone said with a knock on the door.

"Alice?" I asked, my heart speeding up. What the fuck was she doing here?

"Hey, I heard about the accident," she said, awkwardly standing in the doorway.

"The accident was three and a half months ago, and now you show up?" I asked, a look of disbelief on my face.

"I know, it's a little late but-," she started.

"A little late? We haven't spoken in almost two years. What do you want?" I asked.

"I just wanted to see my best friend. And apologize for being a bitch. You didn't deserve any of the shit I gave you," she said.

"You're right, I didn't. So please leave," I replied.

"Scar, please. I'm sorry for everything, I really am. I know nothing I say will make up for it," she pleaded.

"You're right, it won't," I said. Where the fuck is Cade?

"Can I at least buy you a cup of coffee? We can chat and try to move on?" she asked as she sat down on the bed.

"What makes you think that-," I started.

"Hey, ba-oh. Who's this?" Cade asked. It's about goddamn time he showed up.

"Nobody. She was just leaving," I replied.

"Hi, I'm Alice. And you are?" Alice asked holding her hand out.

"Cade, Ali's boyfriend," he replied, shaking her hand.

"Ali?" she asked.

"Yeah," Cade replied. "Do you mind if I talk to Ali alone for a sec?" he asked.

"Yeah, of course," she replied as she stepped outside.

"You know her?" he asked.

"Used to. We used to work together and were best friends. But then shit happened. We haven't spoken to one another in almost two years, I don't know how she found me," I said.

"Well, did she say what she wanted?" he asked.

"A cup of coffee to chitchat over like good ole buddies do," I replied with an eye roll.

"Maybe you should give her a chance. I'm not saying forget what happened between you two, but at least forgive. Don't hold on to all that shit from the past. Besides, she looks harmless. And you'll need someone to help you out at home when I'm at work," he said, trying to reason with me.

"Yeah, maybe you're right," I replied. Maybe I should just forgive and let it go. It was almost two years ago anyway, I'm sure she's a better person now.

"Alice!" I called out.

"Yeah?" she said, popping her head in.

"Would you like to come back to my place for that cup of coffee?" I asked.

"Sure!" she replied, a wide smile on her face. As Cade wheeled me out of the hospital and loaded me into his new truck, I couldn't help but feel as if I was being watched.

"You alright?" Cade asked, noticing my discomfort.

"Yeah. I'm fine, don't worry," I replied with a smile. It was probably just Alex watching from a distance.

The ride home was quiet and awkward, but a sense of relief washed over me as I was wheeled into my old apartment. Everything was just the way I left it, only a thin layer of dust had accumulated over everything, making me sneeze.

After making sure I was settled, cade had to leave for work, leaving me alone with Alice. "So, what have you been up to all this time?" Alice asked.

"Well, before all this I was working with Cade's mom at her flower shop," I replied.

"Is that how you two met?" she asked.

"No, we met when I was moving in here. He helped me unload some of the things from my car and brought them up here," I replied, taking a sip of the warm coffee.

"Oh, that's great. He's a real hottie," she said with a chuckle.

"Yeah, he is. And what about you? What have you been up to?" I asked.

"Job hopping. Jeff fired me from the diner a few weeks after you stopped showing up. He was convinced I was the reason you stopped coming. Soon enough, I was convinced myself. I worked at two other diners after that, but none of those stuck. Then was a cashier at the little boutique down on Main Street, but got fired. Then I did a god-awful thing and signed up to be a librarian. I quit about two weeks in. Now I work at the grocery store at Hilltop," she said.

"Wow, that's-," I started.

"A lot of jobs, I know," she said with a small laugh.

"I just wanna say that I forgive you. Everything that happened is all in the past and we're both in better places now. It's only fair if we move on from it," I said with a small smile.

'Thank you so much!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms around me.

"Alright, alright. Don't suffocate me now," I replied with a chuckle."Do you wanna watch a movie?" I asked.

"I'd love to. White Chicks?" she asked.

"Definitely. Let me just make a quick phone call and I'll be right with you," I replied, wheeling into my bedroom as Alice headed to the couch.

"You know what to do" I hear Alex's rough voice say, followed by a gunshot and a thud that can only be assumed to be a body dropping.

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know I'm home and I've got Alice with me. I hope you're okay," I said.

Wheeling out of my room, I find Alice nowhere to be found.

"Alice?" I called out.

"Right here!" she said from behind me, making me jump. "I needed to use the bathroom," she added.

"Oh, okay. No worries," I replied with a smile.

Why did something seem off about this?