Chapter 26

Scarlett's P.O.V

"I'm so tired," I yawned as Alex swerved through traffic. "Jesus, slow down, will you?" I asked with a laugh.

"Sorry, I just want you to be home safe," he replied.

"Eh, it's four in the morning, I doubt anything bad will happen," I said, stretching in my seat.

"I'm still cautious with you. That dickhead you call a boyfriend going to be home?" he asked.

"Doubt it. He usually crawls in at like six, if he decides to come home that is," I replied with an eye roll.

"You think he's cheating?" he asked.

"Aren't I doing the same thing? Can't judge him for it if I'm being just as unfaithful," I replied nonchalantly.

"Valid point, but you don't deserve that," he said.

"And he does?" I asked.

"Fair enough," he replied with a light chuckle. "All your bags are already in your apartment, I had my men take them while we were eating," he added.

"Thank you," I replied with a small smile.

"You don't have to thank me, Scar," he replied as he rubbed circles on my hand with his thumb.

"I do though. You spent a lot of money on me today. And I got to see Jeff for the first time after all these months. That wouldn't have been able to happen if it weren't for you," I replied.

"If it means making you smile, I'd go bankrupt for you," he replied, bringing my hand to his lips and giving it a small kiss. "Which reminds me," he added, taking out his wallet and pulling out a card, "I want you to take this. I know you don't exactly have a job anymore because of your current situation, but I want you to be able to support yourself. Use it to buy whatever you want,"

"Alex, no. Are you insane? I couldn't possibly take this from you on top of everything else," I replied.

"Think of it as an early birthday gift then," he said, not backing down.

"I have enough birthday gifts to last a lifetime," I replied with a small laugh.

"Scar, please," he pleaded.

"Fine, I'll take it so you stop pestering me about it. But I'm telling you from now, I'm not using it," I replied as I took the card from his hand.

"Thanks, gorgeous," he said with a smile. As he pulled into the parking lot, he helped me get into my wheelchair and placed the leftover food Jeff gave me on my lap. "I'll ride the elevator up with you," he said, pressing the button for my floor.

"You didn't have to," I replied.

"Shush. Do you want me to walk you to your door?" he asked.

"No, that's ok. I don't want to risk you being seen with me," I replied.

"Look who's protecting who now," he replied with a smirk.

"Shut up. I'll see you soon right?" I asked.

"Of course. Just call and I'll be there," he replied. Giving me a quick kiss on the lips, I wheel myself out of the elevator and head to my door. Unlocking it, I head inside with a huge smile on my face. Sighing in relief, I turn on the lights and place the bag of food on the table.

"And where the fuck have you been?"

Shit.

Dick.

Balls.

I'm fucked.

"I was out. Shopping," I replied.