Chapter 33

Alex's P.O.V

I cried.

For the first time, in a long time, I cried.

I never got to officially make her mine.

Taking her hand in mine, I closed my eyes and started to pray.

"Hey, God. I'm not really one to pray, mainly because I don't believe in this shit. Sorry, I don't think I was supposed to swear. Anyway, I know I'm a sinner and do some fucked up shit, sorry but it's the truth, but don't take her away from me. She's a good person and she's been through a lot. She doesn't deserve this. Or me, for that matter. She could do better. All I'm asking is that you heal her. If there's anyone who needs to suffer it's that di-sorry, it's Cade. Um, yeah, that's it. Through Jesus, Mary, Joseph and whoever else is up there, uh yeah. Amen."

"Scar," I said, kissing her hand. "I don't know if you can hear me, but I just prayed to some invisible man with a long white robe that apparently exists. That doesn't matter though, I'll fix this. I'll find Cade and I'll make sure he pays for what he's done to you. I know you wouldn't purposely take drugs. Could you give me a sign? Something? Anything? Just to let me know that you're hearing me," I said, looking at her intently in the hopes of catching something, but I saw nothing.

"Scarlett," I started but choked on my words. Seeing her like this has got me more emotional than a teenage girl. "Baby, I need you to pull through for me, okay?" I asked as I caressed her cheek, careful to not hit any of the tubes or wires that were connected to her.

"Are you crying?" Tristan asked.

"Why the fuck are you here?" I asked.

"I flirted with the nurses and they let me in. This her?" he asked.

"Yeah," I replied, as I took a deep breath.

"Well, from what I can see she's quite pretty. Though the tubes and wires aren't that good of a look on her," he said.

"I didn't ask," I snapped.

"But, damn. You are so fucking whipped. You haven't cried since like, the sixth fucking grade when-," he started, but I cut him off.

"Finish that fucking sentence. I dare you," I seethed.

"Sorry man, I forgot that it's still a sensitive topic," he mumbled as he took a seat next to me. "What happened to her?" he asked.

"Drugs," I replied, not wanting to entertain this conversation.

"Drugs? She get into your supply and O.D or something?" he asked.

"No, you imbecile. She hates the fact that I distribute," I replied.

"Oh, so as her big 'fuck you' she got into your supply and took the drugs to show you what happens. Poetic, I like it. M-Ow!" he exclaimed as I hit him over the top of his head. "The fuck was that for?" he asked.

"Her boyfriend somehow got drugs into her system while she was with him. I don't know when it started or how he did it, but now since she's been with me she's going through withdrawal," I replied.

"Oh...Well shit. Which drug was it?" he asked.

"Xanax and heroin that was laced with fentanyl," I replied.

"Oh shit. You're not supposed to be hopped up on that shit at the same time. Why do you think he was drugging her?" he asked.

"I don't know," I replied, defeated.

"This is thee Cade Powalski, right?" he asked.

"Unfortunately," I replied.

"You don't think he was...Did Depretis do a pregnancy test?" he asked.

"I think so. You don't think he raped her do you?" I asked.

"I mean, with all those drugs in her system she must have been asleep a lot," he replied. "Did Depretis tell you the results?" he asked.

"No, he didn't. Why would Cade pump her full of drugs that could harm a baby if he was trying to get her pregnant? That doesn't make any sense," I reasoned.

"Does anything Cade do ever make sense?" he asked rhetorically. "I'll go find Depretis,"

Was she pregnant?

Did that fucker actually take advantage of her?

Is-

"I heard you had questions for me?" Depretis said as he walked in with his clipboard.

"Yeah, the pregnancy test you did, what were the results?" I asked.

"Let's see...uh, negative. Even if she was pregnant, the baby wouldn't have survived," he replied.

"Okay. Can you check to see if she's still a virgin? I need to know if he took advantage of her while he was drugging her," I asked.

"I know you care for her, but I can't do that without her consent," he replied.

"Does it look like she can give consent?" I deadpanned.

"I'm afraid you're just going to have to wait then," he replied. "Is there anything else I can do for you, Alex?" he asked.

"No, that's all," I replied.

"Very well then, because there is something I wanted to talk to you about regarding Scarlett's condition," he said.

"I'm listening," I replied.

"Because of the drugs she was using and the severity of her seizures, there is a possibility she could have mild to severe brain damage," he said as he flipped through her charts.

"How severe are we talking?" I asked.

"Well, it'll vary depending on how well she recovers. I'm mostly concerned about her frontal lobe. With the severity of her withdrawal and seizures, I'm concerned she may have slurred speech and a change in her personality. There's a slight possibility of amnesia as well. Her motor cortex is also of slight concern, but she seemed to have been in good health prior to this according to her records. Though I do have a death certificate here dated back to last year which I wanted to ask you about," he replied.

"She had run away from me after an argument and faked her death," I replied.

"Ah, okay. Well, do you know what name I could use to pull her records from when she left? I need to make sure she wasn't in the hospital for anything major," he asked.

"She was in a car accident a few months ago. She can still barely walk," I replied.

"Get me a name, I want to look into that. Depending on the doctor's notes, if she suffered damage to her mortar cortex again, she definitely won't walk again," he replied.

"It was Allison. Allison Rothstein"

"I'll tell the nurses to pull her record then. Is there anything else I can do for you in the meantime?" he asked.

"No, that's all," I replied, and with that, he left the room.

"Dude. this is one fucked up situation. Have you found where Cade is?" Tristan asked.

"No. He's gone into hiding. I have a team looking for him, his father, and his mother," I replied.

"His mother? She died like, three years ago in the explosion that the Mexicans set off. What could you want with a dead woman?" he asked.

"Scar told me that while she was in the hospital, his mother would bake cookies and send them over for her ev...oh fuck. I know how he did it," I said, the realization hitting me hard.

"Did what? What are you talking about?" Tristan asked.

"The cookies. He was drugging her through the fucking cookies," I replied.

"Talk about poetic," he replied, earning another smack in the head.