Chapter 37

You didn't feel much when you saw his cold, lifeless state during the funeral. Your mind was numb, and all you could do was listen to the others surrounding you, responding in only a nod or a grunt. Your broken state frightened your friends, and they attempted to cheer you up in any way they could.

Due to his hyper intuition, Tsuna became your shield and knew when to cut in to your conversations, nipping any problem you faced in the bud; Gokudera did so as well, albeit with hostility unlike Tsuna's calm approach; Haru and Kyoko cooked all your favorite meals while Bianchi ruined them (as comedic relief); Yamamoto tried lightening your sour mood with his terrible jokes-- jokes that poked fun at the hot-headed bomber; Lambo snuggled close to you whenever you slept, though there were times he too shed tears for your grandfather; Kyoya, who was new to his role as 'comforting boyfriend', made the decisions you couldn't make and was gentler than usual.

When the funeral came around a week later, you weren't prepared for what was in store for you. It seemed that the funeral's date and location made its way to your mother's ears, and she appeared that fateful day with a smile on her face. The urge to wipe that smirk from her mouth hit you, and you lunged at her with the intent to hurt. "DID HE RAISE AN ANIMAL?" she shrieked in fear as she cradled her reddening cheek. You may or may not have slapped her, though it was a weak slap if you didn't knock her out.

Her question only fueled your rage as you struggled against your friend's arms. You couldn't tell if it was Gokudera or Yamamoto holding you back, but you did notice Tsuna ushering her out of the funeral. Besides that, there were no other family members at the funeral, only your grandfather's old co-workers.

But that was two weeks ago. Now, you were forcibly staying at the underground base. Your friends denied your plea to continue living at the empty estate, something of which Kyoya actually agreed with. You wanted to stay at the place you called home, but their worries overshadowed your desire, not to mention Kyoya's strength as he dragged you out of your own home. All you did now was stay in your bed curled up under the covers.

It wasn't until a pair of familiar hands wrapped around you did you snap back to reality. "I'm sorry I didn't come here earlier." His voice was tinged with worry and pity, the same as everyone else.

"Dino," you breathed out his name.

"There's no excuse for not being there when you needed me."

You turned your head to make eye contact with the blonde; he noticed your blotchy red eyes and depress-stricken face. "It's okay," you croaked.

He sighed, "It's not. I haven't been around you much since last November, and I feel like I let you down as a friend--"

"I said it's fine."

He heard the annoyance in your voice and decided to drop the matter, "Where's Kyoya?"

You smirked, "I don't know. If he was here, he would have punched you with his tonfas."

Dino attempted to chuckle since he didn't know whether you were joking or threatening him. When you gave him a lighthearted smile, he returned it with a grin "Ah, I wouldn't want that." He ended his embrace with you and jumped off the bed and onto his feet, "...So what are you going to do now?"

"I--I...What can I do? I have nothing to go to, and all I can feel is this regret of not doing something for him." Tears threatened to make an appearance, but you held them back furiously, "What do I do?"

"What did Kyoya say?" Dino carefully asked as he began to rub your back in a soothing manner.

"That I should work for Tsuna and keep my mind off of things...He told me to worry about my own life."

"Kyoya said that?" his eyebrows rose with disbelief, "Well, I think he's right, [Name]. If you don't want to continue living with regret, then live on for him, for your grandfather. That's what he would have wanted, right?"

The realization of what to do next hit you. "Yeah...Yeah, that is what he would have wanted."

========J U N E ========

Three months had passed, and slowly, you were recovering.

"Training was very successful," Reborn commented as he rested on your shoulders.

You traveled down the hallway, holding onto a tablet that contained Tsuna's schedule for the next few weeks. "It wasn't all that bad," you admitted, "I just wished the training would have been in Namimori."

"You should get used to Italy since that's where most things are going to happen."

You pouted, "When can I go on a real mission like Gokudera and---"

"Never."

Your eyes flicked over to Kyoya's stoic figure as he waited patiently for your arrival, "Why won't you let me go out on a mission?"

Reborn sighed as he jumped off your shoulder and left the two of you to your usual bickering. You were now eager to live your life in the dangerous side, and your secretary position wasn't helping; neither was your boyfriend as he made it his mission to keep you from everything. His over protectiveness worsened after your breakdown, causing an apparent strain on the relationship. The fighting escalated that it became more frequent.

"They're just herbivores that don't need your attention," Kyoya growled as he held your hand, leading you into his part of the underground base. "You need to be here."

"To what? Satisfy your carnivore side," you cooed as you bumped your shoulder with his, "or you just want me to be here to say 'welcome home, Kyoya~.'"

"Think whatever you want."

You hummed in response, following him until you arrived to the living room area. "Oh, we have company," you noticed as your gaze landed on the Sun Guardian.

"Welcome home, to the extreme!" Ryohei chimed as he held up his sake cup.

"Hey, you already have someone saying 'welcome home', Kyoya. Do you think he can satisfy your carnivore side?" you sarcastically quipped, "I'll be in my room. It was nice seeing you, Ryohei!"

"Nice seeing you too, [Name]!" he waved, but his smile faded when he noticed Kyoya's burning glare, "What's wrong, to the extreme?"

"...Get out."

"Well, I didn't come here to drink sake only."

"I don't care-"

"Have you heard of a group called the Ancelets?" his tone was solemn, nothing like his usual sunny chime.

"Herbivores."

"We thought that to the extreme, but their threatening letters to the Vongola HQ are getting worse. They actually attached a grenade to the last one. They're becoming kinda extreme."

"Who are they gearing these to?"

"You, but you should read the last letter," Ryohei shifted around and grabbed the paper from his pocket, handing it over to Kyoya's impatient hands.

'We know your weakness, and we will exploit it, Cloud Guardian.'

"I think they might be talking about [Name]," Ryohei added, "or they might be bluffing. But just to be safe, keep her out of her trouble."

"Who else knows about this?"

"Tsuna, Reborn, and now you."

"Keep it that way," Kyoya ordered as he crumbled the paper into a ball.