Found

Summary:

Casey had gotten kidnapped while on a call. When he was found after five months, he wasn't the same. He decided he needed to get away from Chicago, from the scene where his life took an ugly turn. He came back one day.

🔥🔥🔥

It was one of those calls. The ones that stick with you for the rest of your life. No matter what he did, he couldn't shake the feeling. He couldn't forget. He had many traumatic things happen from a young age, but this one seemed to override the others. Before, it was the death of his father that flashed through his head whenever he closed his eyes but now it was the call. It was the five months of emotional and physical torture that he saw and felt daily.

When Chicago PD found him five months after the kidnapping, they found someone who looked like Matthew Casey but didn't find him. Casey lost who he was about two months in and came out as barely a person anymore.

He didn't talk. He didn't look anyone in the eye ever. He didn't sleep. He didn't eat, so the doctors gave him a feeding tube.

The firehouse watched as their beloved lieutenant was slowly dying in front of their eyes, and they were powerless to do anything.

No one was able to get through to him. Well, one person was close, and that was Kelly Severide. Although Casey didn't talk to him, he wasn't tense around Kelly and listened to what he had to say. He would nod or shake his head which was the closest response anyone could get from him. Casey felt a sense of safety around Severide, but he still pulled back. Not from his fears of what he may be feeling towards his best friend but the fear of opening up to what he went through during those five months.

The firehouse had a good idea of what happened to Casey due to his injuries and what Voight told them. Chicago PD thinks they know what happened, but they only see half of it. There's another part of the scheme that Casey knows all too well about and knows he should tell PD about, but he can't. Every time he opened his mouth to say something, his throat would close up, and he couldn't get anything out.

Casey knew what he was doing was self-destruction. He knew he was digging himself a giant hole for future Casey to crawl out of, but he couldn't help it. He couldn't stop any of the memories from flashing through his brain. He couldn't stop hearing his screams or from the other victims. He couldn't stop shaking or the feeling of being tied up and used as nothing but a doll.

He knew that therapy would help. He knew opening up would help. He knew he should try. Even saying 'hi' to someone would be a start, but that was too big of a step for him.

After he got released from the hospital after two months of staying there, he returned to his and Kelly's shared loft. He stayed in his room most of the time or came out to go on a run. Kelly felt like he was living with a ghost but knew Matt needed space. He hated seeing his best friend suffer so much. He hated that he couldn't do anything to help. He felt so powerless in this situation and wished he could do something, but he couldn't if Matt didn't want the help.

Kelly was on shift when Matt left. He packed his stuff, turned in his resignation from CFD and left Chicago. He left a note for Kelly, which would be the first form of communication that Kelly had received from him.

Hey Kels, sorry I left without saying anything or even a goodbye, but I can't stay here in Chicago anymore. It is too much for me, and I need an escape. I don't know where I'm going, but I'll figure it out. I might come back, and I might not. But either way, I wanted to say thank you for staying by me these past few months and having my back on every call. You've been an excellent friend to me, and I know you deserve better, but this is the best I can do. I wish you all the best, Kelly and I hope you can find happiness and not let your past consume your future.