Rift

Summary:

The fourth part of the Mated Series.

Part 1: Heat

Part 2: Rut

Part 3: First

The death of their best friend Andy Darden on call has caused a rift in the relationship of Matt and Kelly and a complication of life thrown in as well.

Note:

Hey, so I don't want to write the death of Andy because I feel like the show did it very well, and I don't want to take that away from them because it would feel like plagiarism. I hope that's okay.

🔥🔥🔥

Matt and Kelly have been mated for nearly a decade and married for a little over half a decade. Ever since their accidental mating in high school and when they finally decided to act on their feelings, their relationship has been going strong. They have their ups and downs. Their little fights and disagreements here and there but nothing that was ever too serious. It was only standard. One can't have a healthy relationship if they never have an argument or fight. It is only unhealthy when the fighting out weights the happy moments in the relationship. But that was never Matt and Kelly. Their relationship was strong, healthy, and a force not to be reckoned with.

Both boys made each other extremely happy and couldn't have been more grateful than that one accidental mating when they were still teenagers. They had challenges, especially with their families, but they stuck by each other when Nancy Casey killed her husband and the whole trial and the significant change in Matt and Christie's life.

Everything was going perfectly, as perfect as a relationship in an unperfect world can be.

However, that changed when Andy died, breaking them apart. Matt, having seen it right in front of his eyes and pulling out his friend's dead body, was something he wished he never had to do. He hated when CPR on him outside the burning house, and Andy remained dead. He hated holding Heather, Ben and Griffin as they were told their husband/father died. He hated having to get into the firetruck without Andy's comedic presence behind him. He hated walking through the house without him there, listening to his jokes, or pretending to get annoyed when Andy chooses the worst times to make a joke. But nothing beats the evil and anger look in Kelly's eyes directed at him.

It probably would've hurt less had it not for their mating and marriage, but it felt like someone was tearing Matt apart. He not only had to see Kelly's hatred but also had to handle it. These were the times he hated their bond because he didn't want to feel how much hatred and anger Kelly was feeling. He hated that he caused that. He hated that Kelly blamed him. He hated that he couldn't do anything aside from watch Andy burn. He hated that he couldn't get Andy to stop before he moved. He hated that Andy didn't listen to him. He hated that he couldn't go to Andy and yell at him for being so stupid, and then they will laugh and do something reckless together.

What didn't help anything was dealing with Kelly both at the firehouse and then at home. However, Matt had some dignity and pride that he didn't let Kelly get away with it. When Kelly would throw some jab at him, he would throw one right back, and it would turn into a yelling match that someone had to break up. They both said things they didn't mean, but in the heat of the moment, they weren't thinking.

At home was no better. There was no one there to stop them, and their arguments would usually end with one of them storming out and slamming the door. Kelly would sleep on the couch while Matt slept on their bed. They would both go asleep without each other's presence. Both are missing it, but neither can put their ego down and resolve their issues in a calm conversation.