chapter 6: "eat."

art credit goes to: @soaptaculart on twitter

the next few classes before lunch felt like an eternity to bennett. time seemed to slow down, and every passing minute felt like ages. he couldn't concentrate much in class, he was too ecstatic. he even got called out a total of 5 times by his teachers, asking him questions that he did not know the answer to. he wanted nothing more than to just leave for lunch. even fischl couldn't distract him. she tried to talk to him, but it was like benny's brain was out of order. it just wouldn't work.

at last, the bell before lunch rang, and bennett shot up from his desk, grabbed his bag and rushed out of the room. he didn't even say goodbye to barbara, an adorable girl who was also bennett's buddy. he left her looking up in confusion, but of course he didn't notice.

bennett ran off to the cafeteria, where he would walk out the doors to their bench. hopefully razor was there. with all the students in the halls, he was being bumped all over, like a beach ball. but he made it through and entered the large room. he considered getting food, though he decided against it when he saw the long-ass line. he wanted to see razor as soon as possible. he quickened his pace and made his way to the exit. finally, he was nearing the bench where he would meet razor. bennett looked around for him and spotted a fluffy gray head peeking out through the bushes. there he was.

"razor!" bennett grinned as he called to razor. he went to sit down and accidentally bumped his shin on the bench. he cursed, but sat down anyway. "hi razor!" he smiled at the boy next to him.

"hey. are you okay?" razor looked at bennett's leg, where a bruise was beginning to form. he met bennett's eyes again with concern.

"oh yeah im fine. this doesn't even hurt." bennett stuck his thumbs up. "how are you doing razor?"

"mm.." razor thought back to last night, and the injuries he sustained from his mother. he pulled his sleeve over his wrist and pulled his hood up. "im doing better now." he evaded his question.

"uhhh- yeah!! that's great aha!" bennett blushed. does that mean he's feeling better bc of me?? or is it just a better day than yesterday?? but what if today is a better day BECAUSE we're having lunch together?? hrmngg im overthinking this okay okay whatever.

the two fell into an awkward silence. bennett glanced at razor. razor was looking at him. bennett looked away in embarrassment.

"not gonna eat?" razor tilted his head to the side, like a confused puppy. bennett mentally screamed.

"oh uh- no i- dont have food today... i forgot it at home..." he rubbed the back of his neck. he looked back up. razor was still intently staring. he broke his gaze when he turned to his bag and grabbed a pack of cookies. he opened it, grabbed one, and stuck it in bennett's mouth.

"eat."

"mrmph!" bennett widened his eyes and focused them on razor's fingers. he chewed on the cookie that razor was still holding. on the last bite, bennett accidentally licked razor's finger. the red-eyed boy raised his eyebrows in surprise, but didn't pull his hand back immediately. instead, he looked at bennett's pink lips then back at his green eyes. soft, razor thought, and warm. bennett felt razor's hand brush away from his lips. he snapped back out of his trance.

"uh- sorry for- well, actually, thanks for the- uhm," bennett stammered, but was stuffed with another cookie.

"more."

bennett complied and chewed on his cookie, making sure to NOT lick his crush again.

razor grabbed a cookie for himself and ate it, licking the crumbs off his fingertips. bennett noticed, and immediately turned away.

indirect kiss!!!! bennett was blushing red again. (a/n: had to include this classic)

after finishing the cookies, razor got up with the wrapper in his hand. he was off to throw it away, but bennett panicked, thinking that he had scared razor away.

"razor, wait! where are you going!?" bennett reached out and got hold of razor's forearm. he flinched, pulling his arm out. razor looked to be in pain.

bennett thought, again. he flinched again.

he had misunderstood, believing that he had crossed a boundary. "gah! im- im so sorry! i shouldn't have touched you without warning!"

razor only shook his head. "no. not bennett's fault. going to throw this away. be right back." he didn't add an explanation as to why he flinched, or why he was in pain. he walked away.

the truth was, bennett did cross a line. razor wasn't used to touch, he wasn't comfortable with it. not only had bennett squeezed a bruise on his forearm, but he overwhelmed razor with his sudden touch. razor held nothing against him, there was no way the blonde could know. but he was extremely grateful, surprised even, that bennett apologized and respected him immediately. he didn't ask any questions. he respected razor's privacy and comfort zone. razor couldn't recall the last time that had happened. he smiled as he walked back to bennett, who was fiddling with his thumbs. he looked remorseful.

when he looked up, he started on a tangent. "razor, i am so sorry i did that. i should've asked what you were comfortable with. that was entirely my bad..." he looked down at his beat-up vans. he was overthinking again.

"don't apologize. you not at fault. it's just.." razor struggled to find the right words. "just that... razor is not comfortable with sudden touch. or physical contact."

bennett sighed out of relief. he still wondered why, but he knew that would make his friend uncomfortable, so he didn't ask. "phew! well, i'll make sure to remember that!" he grinned.

"cute." razor whispered.

"hm? what was that?"

"n-nothing!" razor was saved by the bell, signaling the end of lunch. "see you benny!" and with that, he rushed off.

bennett stood there, dumbfounded with a giddy smile on his face. he called me benny!! he went to pick up his things, and turned red again.

razor was unaware that bennett heard that whisper.

it was all he thought about.

completed another chapter! vote, comment and share! and leave any suggestions ofc! also i feel like this chapter was very lackluster and underwhelming :/. ive just been a little burnt out but i'm feeling better now so the next part should be better! thank you for reading!!
-b