chapter 17: my dearest friends

art credit: @kimocchikka on twitter :)!

bennett pulled the string of his sweater. well, not his sweater. razor's sweater. he yanked the sleeves down to cover his fingertips. it was a little big on him. but it was also warm and soft, and it smelled like razor. it felt like razor was hugging him. he relished in the feeling, missing his friend.

i'm being really weird right now, aren't i? archons, i am such a creep.

before long, the final bell rang, signalling the end of the school day. as students collected their things and made their way home, bennett replayed the events from lunch in his head for the billionth time. his body was on autopilot, grabbing his bag and walking out the school, not once noticing his surroundings. he just kept on thinking how he was supposed to talk to razor again after he learned of his unhealthy behaviors. bennett was so engrossed in his own mind, in fact, that he failed to sense the presence of the man he was thinking of calling his name.

so, naturally, when an unknown force pulled on his backpack from behind, he was more than a little startled.

"gCK—," bennett's throat made a weird, choking noise, which was quite embarrassing. "hey! what was that—," looking back, he found razor retracting the hand that yanked on his backpack. his eyes widened the tiniest bit, looking surprised.

"sorry. razor called to bennett, but you not hear," he explained.

"oh, sorry, my bad. so, uh, what do you need, razor?" bennett struggled to make eye contact with razor, looking at everything but his eyes. regardless, he noticed that razor shifted nervous in place.

"uhm... bennett want to walk home together?" razor shyly fiddled with his thumbs.

"oh yeah sure! let me just let fischl know i won't be going with her today. we usually walk home together." bennett was almost sure she wouldn't mind. she probably would be excited for him, even.

"uh no, it's okay. we can walk with fischl together. fischl my new friend. i think."

bennett felt a twinge at his heart. ugh not this, please anything but this. he knew feeling jealousy, especially for his own best friend, was stupid. but he couldn't help how he felt. he could, however, push aside the feeling. "oh, really? i'm glad, fischl is an awesome friend. let's go find her." razor nodded and followed bennett to find fischl. she was waiting by the school gate, adjusting her half pigtails.

"hello, bennett. are you ready to— oh!" she called to bennett and saw razor in tow behind him. "razor! how lovely to see you again," she threw benny a knowing smile. luckily, razor had no clue what it meant. bennett glared at her.

"hey, AMY, razor is gonna walk home with us today. you don't mind, do you?"

red flushed over fischl's cheeks at the sudden call of her real name. "of course not! let us be on our way." after bennett passed her to step into the road, fischl quickly got behind him and pulled his ear. "that was for calling me amy."

razor followed at both of them in confusion, tilting his head like a puppy. "amy?"

"oh right. you don't know huh razor?"

"know what?"

"that fischl's real name is— mMPH!?" a hand slapped over bennett's mouth. bennett's own hands went up to try to pry it off but fischl was too strong.

"hey! you'd better not say a word, benny! i'll tell him my— eUGHH! DID YOU JUST BITE MY HAND??" she pulled her hand back in disgust. "what the fuck, bennett?!"

"I HAD TO OR ELSE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE LET GO!"

"YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO BITE SO HARD THOUGH!" the two started to argue, right then and there, in the middle of the street.

a snicker behind them stopped them dead in their tracks. they both looked back to see razor laughing behind them. after a bit, he finally stopped.

"sorry... i didn't mean to laugh. you two are good friends," razor explained.

fischl smiled sweetly. "indeed we are. earlier, bennett was about to reveal my birth name. it is amy, but only my dearest friends know this. i like being referred to as fischl."

"does that mean razor and fischl are 'dear friends'?"

fischl tensed up and blushed. "huh—wha—i— hmph!" she walked off in defiance.

bennett laughed. "don't worry, razor! what she means is that she considers you a close friend. you'll learn to understand fischl eventually."

together the boys caught up to fischl.

after some walking, razor finally asked the question that was on his mind. "how did you guys become friends?"

"hm?" bennett turned his head to him. "how we met? it was about ten years ago, i think, in grade school. we were both lonely, no friends at all. me because i was horribly unlucky, fischl 'cause she was unique. in the end, we became friends since no one else would. and the rest is history."

fischl chimed in, "believe it or not, but bennett was far more obnoxious than he is now."

"what?? i was and am not obnoxious!"

"you most definitely are."

"if anything, YOU'RE the obnoxious one! don't you remember how you would never stop talking about that dumb book? fruits for king fred or whatever the fuck it was called? THAT was annoying."

"it's Flowers for Princess Fischl, you DOLT! how do you not know that by now??"

"oh, i don't know, maybe because its a STUPID ASS BOOK!"

"listen here, it is a LITERARY MASTERPIECE, but, of course, a DIMWIT DUMBASS like you couldn't possibly understand!"

"whAT DID YOU JUST SAY??"

once again, they began to bicker. and once again, razor was a witness to their stupidity. the three of them kept walking home until fischl had to part, leaving the two boys alone.

after she left, bennett suddenly couldn't think of what to say, like he forgot to speak. oh sHIT WHAT DO I DO NOW?? WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO SAY??  I HOPE I DONT LOOK AS AWKWARD AS I FEEL. FIGHTING WITH FISCH WAS SO MUCH EASIER!!

thankfully, he thought of something just in time.

"razor?"

"hm?"

"do you want to come over?"

featuring bennett and fischl being besties and razor slowly getting sucked into their shenanigans. happy pride! keep slaying homies!!
-bitches