chapter 10: boys dont cry

art credit goes to @bibizbbibi on twitter :)

bennett couldn't think straight (hehe). a cute boy was clinging onto him, silently crying. they had been like this for 15 minutes, and by now, razor's soft cries had fell into hushed sniffles. bennett was still holding him in his arms, rubbing his fluffy hair. he didn't want to pull away, but he wanted to know if everything was alright.

"razor?" he said, his voice barely above a whisper. razor hummed in response. bennett spoke again, "you feeling better now?"

razor let go of bennett, his eyes red and puffier than ever. he nodded, then wiped his eyes with his sleeve. bennett missed razor's warm embrace, but right now, he focused on how razor felt. he looked into his eyes.

razor looked down, disappointed in himself. "benny... i'm sorry." his voice was weak and shakey.

"sorry for what?"

"for crying."

"you dont need to apologize for that razor."

"but.." razor appeared to remember a painful memory. he shut his eyes and sighed. "but boys don't cry."

"what?? of course we do! everyone does! who told you that?" bennett understood what he meant; he had felt the same way a few years ago. but with the help of his dads, he realized that that was an incorrect mindset, an expectation that was imposed on men. he always thought he was weak if he cried, but after a talk with his dads, he saw that that was simply not the case. and now, just like his dads helped him, he wanted to help razor.

"kylee." razor answered after a pause.

"who's that?"

"foster mom." razor clearly didn't want to elaborate, though he was opening up a bit.

bennett didn't push any further. "well, let me tell you that she's wrong. boys cry. girls cry. people cry. it doesn't matter what age or gender you are, the fact is that everybody cries. it's alright to cry. i cry all the time, but that's okay. i'm only human, just like everyone else."

razor just stared blankly at the person in front of him. he blinked. it seemed like bennett was always helping razor out, in one way or another. with a tiny grin, he said, "thank you, bennett. you are good friend."

bennett was awestruck by razor's cute smile. he felt hot, and smiled back. "uh- d-yeah! of course!"

the two fell into a silence whilst looking at the horizon. an awkward moment passed.

"uh- soooooo..... what now?" bennett didn't think that when razor called him out here, it would be a serious situation. bennett just wanted to get some (IM SORRY). now that the emotional part was over and razor ceased his crying, they didn't know what to do. bennett still wanted to hang out with razor, and he hoped he reciprocated his feelings.

bennett looked around, anywhere but razor. he spotted something in the distance and an idea emerged in his head.

"hey i know!" benny stood up, dusting his knees. he had a playful look on his face.

"what?" razor stood up as well. he followed bennett to the huge trunk of the tree, just a bit off from where they were sitting.

"bet you can't beat me in a race!" bennett spoke in a daring tone. they might as well have some fun while they were here, right? "lets start here and go all the way to the playground, over there. the goal is that bench, just past the fountain. you ready?"

razor wasn't too convinced. "i dont know bennett... it's getting late."

"aww cmonn!! it'll be fun! trust me. what is it,  you scared?" bennett was teasing razor.

"wha- no! of course not. i can beat you. watch me." razor was quick on his feet. he had spent a lot of time outdoors, so both his stamina and speed were outstanding.

without warning, bennett said, "alright, ready? GO!!"

bennett was off, a few seconds ahead of razor. he sprinted as fast as he could, almost tripping and falling a couple times.

"hey! that's not fair!" razor called from behind him, and bennett laughed.

he almost ran into a tree, but he kept going. he looked back to see razor, expecting to see him a few paces behind. razor, however, was one step behind bennett, a big wolfy smile plastered on his face. this time, bennett tripped for real, though he caught himself before falling. razor gained on him, passing him swiftly.

stupid razor and his stupid smile. bennett thought to himself, but he wasn't mad about seeing it. he kept running.

razor used SMILE! it was super effective!

bennett huffed as he saw razor pass the goal, skidding to an abrupt stop. he reached him seconds later, out of breath. bennett was breathing hard, while razor laughed. bennett was dYing and razor was LAUGHING.

he didn't mind one bit though.

he looked up from his hunched over position. razor was slightly winded, though not as much as benny. his hair was messy thanks to the run, but it was adorable and fluffy as ever. although a bit sweaty and ruffled up, bennett thought he looked amazing. the best he had ever seen him.

as soon as bennett could breathe, he went off. "BRO WHAT THE HELL YOURE SO FAST AND YOURE NOT EVEN TIRED. HOW ARE YOU SO FAST??"

razor blushed a little and smiled, "i used to run a lot as a kid. you're pretty good yourself."  

"gee, thanks." bennett rolled his eyes.

"so, what do i win?"

"huh?" bennett was confused, puzzled even.

"i beat you, so what's my prize?" razor was showing a bit of his real self. he felt comfortable enough around bennett.

"uh i dont know.. i didnt think of a prize..." he scratched his head.

razor stepped a little closer to bennett, his confidence building up. "then how about this? you eat lunch with me tomorrow. after school we come here again. to hang out."

bennett didn't know what to say. like, a date??? huh?? whats happening????

"yeah uhm- sounds good. sounds great. sounds awesome. yup." bennett did his classic thumbs up, a bit more awkwardly then usual.

"then i guess i'll see you tomorrow, benny." he smiled one last time before turning around and walking in the other direction.

if bennett didn't know before, he was sure of it now.

he was in love.

and so another thrilling installment in this series is published. fufufu. anyways i have to do this persuasive essay for english and im thinking of writing about how i think its racist and quite frankly homophobic that mihoyo didnt give me xiao. vote, comment, share, all that stuff. alright see ya homies.
-b
(ps: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR 1.03k READS YOU GUYS ARE SO SWAG AHHH THANK YOU!!!)