chapter 18: wolfhook

art credit: @kyaoni on twitter :)

the front door of bennett's house opened. in stepped two teenage boys, one of them clearly a guest and the other right at home, both equally as nervous.

"uh, well, ta-da! welcome to my humble abode, i guess." bennett stepped aside to let his friend in, awkwardly shaking his hands in a jazzy way.

"woah. bennett lie. not humble, very big." razor took in as much as he could from the front door. because bennett's pop was a detective, not to mention his other father being both a scientist AND artist, they lived a comfortable life in a nice house. it was not a mansion by any means, but it was bigger and nicer than what razor was used to.

"father, i'm home!" bennett called out to his dad while heading to the kitchen with razor in suit. "do you want anything to drink? juice, water, coffee? we have some snacks too if you'd like." he took a cup and poured himself some water.

gripping the straps of his bag, razor politely declined, feeling very awkward and out of place. bennett shrugged and kept rummaging in the fridge when they heard footsteps approaching. it was bennett's father, albedo.

"welcome home, benny. i wasn't aware we were hosting guests." albedo shot bennett a stern glance for not letting him know sooner. "you should have told me bennett. but i digress. are you going to introduce me to your friend?"

bennett scratched his neck sheepishly, "ehe.. sorry dad. to be fair, i just invited him in." putting a hand on razor's shoulder, he stated, "father, this is my good friend, razor! razor, meet my dad." he gestured to albedo, who was amused by the way bennett acted around his 'friend.'

"pleasure to meet you, razor. i am albedo kriedeprinz, bennett's father. i do hope my son isn't causing you any trouble." he joked and held out his hand.

razor firmly shook it, introducing himself as well. "i am razor. very nice meeting you. your son cause only small trouble. but i am happy with him. he is fun. talks a lot."

"well, you aren't wrong there. i'm glad to hear that. if i may ask-" before albedo could finish, he was cut off by his son, again in the fridge.

"alright! i found some wolfhook juice here! do you want some, razor?"

the boy in question immediately whipped his head around and nodded eagerly. bennett served him a glass and handed it to him. razor took a sip and closed his eyes in delight.

"razor, you seem to be quite fond of wolfhook juice." albedo pointed out.

"yes. wolfhook very yummy."

"it is indeed very yummy. not only that, did you know that it also has medical uses as well? studies have shown that early settlers of mondstadt would use the plant to tend to their wounds. of course, with modern technology, such practices are rare, but it remains a staple in-" once again, the scientist was interrupted by bennett.

"dad, you're doing that thing where you spit out your endless knowledge of everything. we get it, you're a genius. but please, you're gonna bore razor with your monologues and scare him off with your intelligence. come on, razor, let's go before he starts rambling again." grabbing razor's hand, bennett abruptly walked off towards the stairs to avoid a science lesson. "now if you'll excuse us, we'll be up in my room, alright? cool."

his dad rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "it was nice meeting you, razor. oh, and bennett?" he narrowed his eyes and smirked, "keep the door unlocked."

"DAD!!"

bennett dragged razor with him as he ran up the stairs and to his room, shutting the door, still hand in hand. "ughh, how embarrassing!"

"don't mind. your dad is very smart. he seems cool."

"yeah, he is. but he's too smart. i think you'll really like my other dad, though. he's a detective and he's super fun. hopefully he get home soon so you can meet him. here, you can put your bag next to mine." in order to remove his backpack, bennett had to let go of razor's hand. hesitantly, he pulled away, and took his backpack off. razor did the same.

bennett took off his shoes and sat on his bed while razor looked around. he spoke up, "benny's room. i like it."

"thanks." he pat the spot next to him, inviting razor to sit next to him. and he did, but he sat awfully close to bennett, just a couple inches between them. bennett did not expect that, so his brain did what it did best.

panic.

holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy sHIT HES SO CLOSE why is he so close?? i dont mind at all but why?! does he... like me too? no that's impossible he probably just thinks this is how friends act and doesn't know the inner turmoil he's causing me right now—

"...benny? you okay?" razor's hand was waving in front of his face. he looked worried.

"huh? oh yeah, sorry, i guess i zoned out, ha.." bennett nervously looked away.

"you do that a lot."

"yeahh... i guess i do.." buT ONLY BECAUSE OF YOU, YOU ADORABLE FLUFFY INNOCENT MAN. "anyway, what did you say?"

"i asked if you were gay."

"KCKHC WHAT??"

razor pointed to a small rainbow flag in bennett's desk, nestled in his pen holder. "the flag."

"ohhhhh, that? no, i'm not gay, but im part of the community. i'm pansexual."

razor tilted his head cutely, "what's that?"

"it means i'm attracted to anyone, no matter their gender. look, i have the pan flag over there." bennett pointed to the wall with a window. above it was a medium flag with pink, yellow, and blue.

razor turned and admired the flag. "pretty," he said.

bennett was nervous about his question, but he asked anyway. "a-and you? what are you? of course, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to, i understand-"

"i like boys." razor looked straight at bennett's eyes. "i never told anyone."

"oh! well, thank you for trusting me enough to come out to me. i feel honored to be the first one you tell. i won't tell anyone, i promise. hey, are you okay?" just then, bennett noticed razor's eyes were more watery than usual, and his lip started to tremble.

all of a sudden, razor dropped his face onto bennett's shoulder, wrapping his arms around his torso and holding on like he was the most important thing in the world. no sound was made save a few sniffles, but bennett felt his shoulder start to get moist. he immediately reciprocated the embrace, holding razor gently.

"hey, it's alright, razor. i'm here with you, and you're gonna be alright. go ahead, just let it out. i know it's scary, and i know it's hard, but listen, i am so proud of you, razor. so proud." he spoke softly, and rubbed up and down his back. both his actions and words caused razor's cries to break, making him hold on tighter and push onto bennett.

"woah!" the sudden movement caught benny off guard, and he fell onto the bed along with razor, still in his arms. he didn't seem to notice, and if he did, he didn't care. he just continued crying. bennett thought that if razor didn't mind, then he wouldn't either. he adjusted them to make them more comfortable, and placed a hand on razor's hair, gently rubbing circles on his scalp, tangling his long hair in the process.

"im here, razor. i won't ever go anywhere."

maybe it was the surge of emotions, or maybe it was the love bennett felt for razor that fogged his mind and gave him the confidence to place a delicate kiss on razor's soft silver hair.

yeah i did not plan for this to get emotional AT ALL but i really like how it turned out in the end. and for anyone who is closeted or just facing a hard time, just know that the words bennett spoke are also for you. i am so proud of you, and i love you.

lets do a reader checkup. how are you guys? feel free to vent or talk in the comments. i'll make sure to reply as soon as i can.
-b