chapter 13: what are we waiting for?

art credit: @peepp_q on twitter! (this one is especially adorable)

"bennett."

"fischl."

the two teens stared eachother down, both stubborn as hell. eventually, though, bennett gave in. he tore his eyes off the girl.

"GOD DAMN IT-" bennett said, both loudly and exasperatedly. he threw his hands jn the air, knocking his drink in the process. "oh shit-"

fischl scoffed, and called over a waitress. "pfft... only you, bennett."

they caught the eye of a few passing customers at the place they were at. fischl and him decided to travel to liyue that sunday to go get a meal at the wangshu inn, a big hotel halfway between liyue harbor and the city of mond. they weren't there to stay, just to try out the food, as they often did.

this time, their topic of conversation was razor, their friend, aka the guy bennett is in love with.  they had been talking for a while, bennett going on and on about razor, and fischl just trying to keep interest, until she could no longer take it.

fischl raised her glass and took a sip. "you have to tell him someday," she gestured with her cup. "i mean, the sooner the better, right?" she leaned back to let the employee clean up the mess and take the empty cup, giving her thanks.

"you just don't get it fischl," bennett leaned back in his chair with a hopeless look. "it's not exactly easy."

the waitress fetched another glass for bennett and set it down.

"you're right, i don't get it. why not?"

"becaaaauuuseee," he dragged out, throwing his head back. "it's complicated-"

"it's really not."

"-and, like, we're friends and all but we aren't super close. we don't know each other completely and we just met a couple weeks ago."

"yet here you are, head over heels."

"look, fischl, considering the fact that we aren't exactly 'besties,' plus my bad luck, it's just not gonna end well." bennett reasoned with fischl, taking a stab at his food as he said so. he rested his head on his hand, already sighing in defeat.

"im just facing the facts. it's impossible with my luck."

bam! he looked up to see fischl's hands down on the table, an irritated look in her eye.

"ugh! i have had it with you! i am so SICK of you always backing out of things because of your luck! yeah, you two might not be as close as possible, but guess what? you're probably the closest friend he's got, nay the only friend he's got. i'm beginning to wonder if this 'bad luck' bullshit is real, or if its just an excuse. you are infuriating!" with that, she turned her heel and stormed off.

bennett blinked. he had made her mad before but not like this. but she had a point.

what the hell am i doing? am i really letting my bad luck get in the way?

as his head swarmed with questions, his eyes landed on another table to his right. there sat two boys, one with ice blue hair and the other with dark navy hair, similar to the ocean. the darker haired one was laughing merrily while holding up chopsticks to the other boy's mouth. bennett heard them from his table.

"come on chongyun! just one bite? i'll even blow on it for you, see?" the boy blew on the food to cool it down.

"no! no way, not this time, xingqiu! last time you fed me a WHOLE juyeun chili! im not falling for it again!" the ice blue head replied, sticking his hands out in protest. bennett figured this was chongyun.

"i promise you it's good! it's not too bad, trust me. after all, i wouldn't want to ruin our date, right, yun?" he coaxed him. bennett understand was going on now. the boy was flirting with the other one. at least, trying to.

what a strange approach, bennett took mental notes.

"d-date?? you said this was a- ugh, fine! just stop giving me those puppy eyes!" chongyun opened his mouth and chomped down on the meat, chewing with a pout on his face. his partner watched him with loving eyes.

"so? how is it?"

"its- its good. i thought you were tricking me but i gue- AAAAHHH!!" he got red in the face and immediately downed his drink. "XINGQIU! YOU SAID THIS WASNT A TRAP!"

the boy who's name was xingqiu just smiled innocently. "you're just so adorable like this, my dear yun~" he tucked a strand of hair behind "yun's" ear, making him an ever deeper red than before.

"you're cruel..." the ice boy replied, pouting, clearly enjoying his partner's touch.

"bennett, stop staring."

fischl stood there, arms crossed. bennett also stood up.

"how long have you been there???"he started to speak but was cut off by fischl putting her hand up.

"it doesn't matter. just let me apologize for storming off and for getting angry. but i don't take back my words. you need to reach for what you want, bennett. you can't let things, in this case, razor, slip away. i understand you're scared but you aren't alone. i'm always here for you, and i always have been, benny." she took his hand and smiled up at him.

he smiled back, weakly. "i hate when you're right, fisch. i have been using it as an excuse. i really do think i have extremely bad luck, as you can tell from... earlier events..." he coughed, remembering the spill he caused. "but that doesn't mean that i should stop doing what i want. and i- i want to tell razor how i feel! and i want him to maybe feel something for me too."

bennett looked over back to the two boys. the ice blue one was still bothered, given the expression on his face. the other blue haired boy looked to be apologizing, twirling his partner's hair with one hand. bennett looked down at his other hand, intertwined with chongyun's.

i want that.

bennett nodded, now more determined than ever to make his fantasies turn into reality. without warning, he enveloped fischl in a hug. although surprised, she hugged him back, relieved that he finally understood. he pulled away and continued.

"thank you, fischl. i'll tell him. but i'll need a plan..." benny put his hand to his chin.

fischl rested her hands on her hips and smiled, ready to help out her best friend.

"well, what are we waiting for?"

some xingyun fluff for yall. its my favorite ship along with rannett obviously. i'm considering making a xingqiu x chongyun fic but i have to figure a plot. anyways drink milk shawties.
-b