chapter 12: "i save you today."

ac: @donbom12 on twitter :)

i'm going on a date! i'm going on a date with razor AHHHH!!! bennett's thoughts were rushing at the same pace he was walking. he hopped down the stairs, turned left, and ran to the school exit, raising a hand up to shield his eyes from the bright sun. crowds of students shuffled out to the gates to leave the school. bennett squeezed through, and when he finally got out, he looked around to spot razor.

he didn't look for long, however, as a cold hand wrapped around his wrist and pulled him back. it was razor.

"hey razor! ready for our- uh- i mean... ready to go??" that was close, bennett.

razor nodded and slipped his long fingers into bennett's warm palm, intertwining them while he stepped closer to bennett.

"let's go."

bennett didnt even have time to process what was happening before razor pulled him forward.

———————————————————————-

this time, they had decided to go eat and walk around town. their first stop was good hunter, a local eatery owned by sarah, a sweet woman, and a great chef. they ordered their food and took a seat outside at a table.

razor sat across bennett and stared at him, which made bennett a bit nervous.

"w-what?" he asked. "is there something on my face?? i haven't even eaten anything."

razor shook his head no. "sorry, you just- never mind." he took a sip of his wolfhook juice.

"huh?? nooo tell me!" bennett complained like a child, making the boy across him smile.

"you have freckles."

"oh yeah! i do. i'm surprised you noticed them, they're very light." bennett touched his cheek unconsciously.

"i noticed just now. which side do you get it from. mom or dad?" razor asked innocently. he wanted to know more about bennett, so he started with his family.

bennett froze. while he didn't hide that he was an orphan, he didn't go around telling everyone either. only a few people knew his biological parents were gone, and being asked like this was unexpected. he honestly didn't know what to say.

"well, i... actually my-"

he was cut off by sarah bringing in two plates and setting them or their table.

"alright, i have a chicken-mushroom skewer for you," she set down a plate in front of bennett. "and mondstadt hash browns for you!" she placed down razor's food. "i also have the sweet madame you ordered. enjoy!"

"thank you so much!" bennett said after she set down all three meals. sarah smiled and left to the kitchen. "let's share this sweet madame, alright?"

"mhm. looks very yummy." razor got a portion of the sweet madame and put it on his plate, already digging in. bennett was also eating, chewing on a chicken piece from his skewer. they ate in relative silence, occasionally making comments to each other or cracking jokes. they just enjoyed the others company.

"this is good," razor started as he ate his last hash brown. "but mine is better."

"you cook?" bennett was genuinely surprised. razor didn't look like the cooking type.

"yes. i will make you some. then you will see which is better."

they finished their meal, and bennett insisted on paying. so he did, and they walked back to the main plaza to hang around.

they reached the statue of the anemo archon, a huge sculpture of a boy in robes, with two braids down the side of his face, and his hands held out. wings unfurled behind him. it had to be about 15 meters tall, and it overlooked all of the city. together they sat on a bench nearby, admiring the statue.

"legends say that barbatos used his winds to smooth down the land of mondstadt. he got rid of all the snow and ice and made it into a land of pleasant breeze instead..." bennett recounted to razor a bit of mondstadt, until razor spoke up.

"you never answered my question."

bennett turned to him and made a puzzled look.

"i asked what side of the family you get your freckles from. you never answered." razor looked at him dead in the eye, examining every movement on his face, trying to read his emotions.

"oh... well," benny looked off to the statue. "i don't know. i don't know where my mother and father are. i don't know if they're dead or alive, or even who they are! i just know that i was found alone in a blanket as a baby by an old man. he took me with him to mondstadt, and long story short, i ended up with my dads."

for the first time all day, bennett wasn't smiling. he wasn't cheerful, or upbeat like usual, he just had a blank stare on his face. he felt nothing at all. he was in a void of eternal emptiness, not sad nor happy as he looked at barbatos' face for what seemed like forever.

razor didn't expect this. he didn't know how to interact with humans, he didn't know how to comfort bennett. but he wanted to help him, just as he had helped him just yesterday. and that's when it hit him.

bennett was pulled out from his mind state by razor when he slid an arm across benny's back. he pulled him in close, resting his head on his chest. bennett blushed, suddenly back in reality, no longer thinking of his biological parents.

"what? r-razor, what's going on??"

razor smiled in his way and ruffled his hair. "you save me yesterday. i save you today."

god this man is perfect, bennett leaned into razor's shoulder, mumbling a quiet 'thank you.'

after a short moment, razor spoke up again. "razor's mom and dad gone too. they liked hiking. one day they left and never came back. left me with kylee. distant cousin of mom. i thought they abandoned me. she told me the truth later. mom and dad... killed by wolves in forest."

bennett looked up at razor. "oh razor... i'm so sorry."

"it's okay. it was long time ago. but see? bennett and razor are similar." he smiled, again. he was doing that a lot lately, bennett noticed.

he smiled back, letting out a small scoff. "yeah we are. i guess we are."

the two boys cuddled on the bench watching the anemo archon statue, this time in a different light, and better understanding of each other.

HAPPY FUCKING BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST BOY OF ALL TIME I LOVE YOU BENNETT (and so does razor!) <33333

uhm........ hi. so uh happy march- its been a while. my apologies for that. but heres a question for all of you: what do you think of the chapter length? i try to do at least 1000 words per chapter but i want to know what you guys prefer. longer or shorter? let me know!
-b