chapter 9: small details

ac: @kannonkaza on twitter :D

bennett had arrived ten minutes earlier than planned. he navigated through the mostly empty park, save for a few couples. the sun was about to set, and some families there were starting to pick up their things and round up their kids.

bennett walked towards the center of the land, towards a giant tree. the tree had been planted in honor of vennessa, a local legend and hero. a lot of the park's tables and benches were here, taking advantage of the huge shade the tree provided. bennett walked past the tree to an unpaved area, where there was no path. it was natural, with windwheel asters and snapdragons growing wild, and it overlooked a clear river. there was a little dock, and near it a bench. he sat on the bench, deciding to wait for razor there.

bennett was anxious, and it showed. his leg was bouncing up and down, shaking up the dirt beneath him. it was getting dust everywhere, so he started to doodle on the dirt instead. he wasn't the best of artists, but he could draw pretty cute doodles if he tried. this time, he drew a messy wolf, and next to it he started to write.

R-A-Z-O...

he was just on the line for the last R, but was interrupted when he heard a twig snap. he looked up and saw, in all his handsome glory, razor.

"oh! uh- hi razor!" benny smiled warmly at the boy in front of him.

"hey.." razor's words trailed off, as did his red eyes, intrigued by a small drawing next to bennett's shoe. his ears warmed up a bit, and he opened his mouth to say something when suddenly, bennett bolted up, scribbling away the lines. razor saw that bennett was also a little red.

SHIT HE TOTALLY SAW THAT HES GONNA THINK IM A CREEP OR SOMETHING OH GOD I HOPE HE DIDNT GET TO READ IT- benny internally panicked, maintaining a innocent and friendly facade on the outside.

"was that-"

"sO WHATS UP HAHA!?" bennett cut off whatever razor was saying by speaking unnaturally (and embarrassingly) loud.

"uhm..." razor didn't know how to start explaining his sudden park invitation. so he didn't. "this is a nice spot... i didn't know this was here."

bennett composed himself, and sat back down, patting the spot next to him while looking up at razor, prompting him to sit. he did.

bennett spoke up, "yeah it is, huh? i quite literally stumbled upon it when i was a kid. i also broke my wrist that day." he looked over to razor.

it was only then that benny took a good look at his friend. he was wearing dark green sweatpants, and a chocolate brown sweater. but what bennett was focused on was his face. it was handsome and sharp, as always, however, now that razor was so close to him, he could see the small details. his eyes were dark, presumably from lack of sleep, as well as red and puffy. they were bloodshot and twinkling, glassy like water. bennett saw razor's red nose, his trembling hands. it would be easy to miss, but bennett saw the small details.

regardless of his own feelings, he put himself aside, and chose to focus on razor, first and foremost as a friend in need.

bennett lowered his voice. "why did you want to meet razor?"

the boy in question glanced away and bit his cheek. hesitantly, he responded, "i- i dont have friends. i am mostly alone. bennett is my first friend in a long time. you're the only person i can confide in. because we are friends."

is this what was bothering razor, the fact that he was lonely? bennett spoke again, "what do you mean?"

"when a person has a tough time, they rely on their friends, right?"

"yeah.." bennett was starting to piece things together.

"i was... having a tough time. i usually deal with it myself. but i thought of benny. and that maybe being with you would make me feel better. understand?"

"i think so.." bennett furrowed his eyebrows, trying his best to understand. "do you want to talk about it?"

razor shook his head no. there was no way he was gonna burden bennett with this.

"okay then. just know that i'll always be here if you need me. i don't want to force you to say something you don't want to say. whatever you feel comfortable with sharing, i'm more than willing to hear. like you said, that's what friends do, right? so whenever you're ready, razor."

razor wanted to keep it in. he really did. but he hadn't been shown kindness—genuine concern and empathy—like this in a long while. bennett was so kind, even though he knew next to nothing about the situation. it made razor tear up, and what he tried so hard to conceal slipped through.

bennett gasped lightly. "razor.." he didn't expect to see him cry. he didn't want to see him cry. this was his dear friend, and although small, new feelings were blooming towards razor. bennett cared for him deeply, both as a friend and a crush. so before he could think twice, bennett wrapped his arms around him.

razor stiffened. this was a new form of touch. it wasn't cruel or cold, like kylee's, but warm and caring. more tears escaped his eyes.

when he felt razor tense in his arms, bennett remembered what he had said about physical contact, and how it made him uncomfortable. he pulled away and apologized immediately. "oh barbatos! i am so sorry razor! i forgot you don't like touch! i wasn't thinking."

bennett's comforting warmth left razor, but before the blonde's hand fully left him, razor took hold of it. "no.. it's okay now. bennett... is different.."

bennett was definitely gonna overthink those words later.

"are you sure?"

"yes." razor was the one to reach out this time, resting his head on benny's shoulder. bennett reached up and patted his hair. it was soft and fluffy. his other hand rested on razor's back, rubbing up and down in a comforting manner.

razor felt like it was just them two in the world, and he felt cared for. like he wasn't just a nuisance, or an eyesore. like he mattered. he cried a bit harder, letting himself feel reassured by bennett's gentle touch.

and so, as the skies turned golden and the sun set, bennett scratched razor's soft grey hair, and said:

"i'm here for you, razor."

they stayed like that for a while.

soo what do you guys think?? ik its a bit sad but i promise you the next one will be filled with wAcky qUiRky shenanigans 👁👁. so look forward to that, it shall be posted as soon as possible. btw anyone get xiao or shenhe this time around?? i wanted angsty emo cat boy but i didnt get him :( okAY HAVE A GREAT DAY/NIGHT/AFTERNOON!!!!
-bruh