CH.17: PROMISE

EDWARD LOWERED IVY TO THE ground, his right arm still wrapped around her waist, now looking at Alice with a look of guilt written across his face.

"What's happening?" Jacob asks Alice, his brows pulling together in a frown.

"Vampires. Three of them. They want to join the game," Edward replies as the Cullens and the wolf-pack gather together.

"They were leaving. Then they heard us and became curious," Alice explains apprehensively. She seemed lost in her thoughts... or visions.

In a flash, Jasper was by her side, rubbing his hand up and down her arm comfortingly. "How soon?"

"Less than two minutes," Edward states, a look of intense concentration crossing his face.

"There's only three?" Emmett confirms before shrugging with a loose grin, cupping his fist as he cracks his knuckles. "Let them come."

"What should we do?" Ivy asks no one in particular.

"Let's go," Edward mutters to Beau and Ivy as he turns to go to the car, lightly tugging her along with him by the hand.

Carlisle sighs before telling him "It's too late."

Edward stops, pausing a second to figure out his next move. She feels like she should be reacting to the fact that she and her brother are in a lot of danger right now but when Ivy tries to kick into her survivor instincts, her mind is completely blank.

Everyone's eyes glanced around the field, looking for any signs of a vampire trio. Some vampires and shapeshifters moved back to the field, making it look like they'd never stopped the game, to begin with.

Ivy felt herself starting to panic so she made herself focus her attention on the feeling of her hand in Edward's cold one. Edward looks down at Ivy, about to say something but gets distracted by the shift of wind from across the meadow. "I shouldn't have brought you here. I'm so sorry," Edward scolded himself aloud, he did his best to keep his tone even but Ivy could hear the frustration evident in his voice.

She looked up from across the field and at him before whispering, "It's fine. We didn't know they were coming."

"Stay very still, keep silent, and don't leave my side. Please," Edward mummers into her hair, kissing the top of her head before shifting to her left, his hand moving to rest on the small of her back. Ivy hadn't noticed him gently pulling out the pins in her hair that held it in a low bun until it swept over her back.

Jacob and Beau are having their own conversation when the human asks his boyfriend, "What? What are you-?"

Jacob sighs, gently grasping his head between his hands. "Beau, just stay quiet and behind me. I won't-, I can't let anything happen to you," He told him quickly as the other vampires made their way closer. Beau nods before standing between Jacob and Ivy before taking her free hand. Ivy sees from the corner of her eye, Edward and Jacob sharing a look, the former giving a nod of understanding and respect.

Two males and a female emerged one by one from the forest edge. They cautiously made their way toward the large group. It wasn't long before they stood before us silently before the man in the middle raised his right hand which was holding a baseball. "I believe this belongs to you?" he smirked in a relaxed tone before tossing it to Carlisle, who caught it easily. Ivy picked up the slightest French accent.

"Thank you," he replies politely.

"I am Laurent," The red-eyed vampire introduces themselves. He had long dark deeds falling neat over his shoulders. "And this is Victoria and James."