CH.4: LIAR

CHARLIE BURST THROUGH THE DOORS of the emergency room, his eyes automatically finding his son and daughter. "Ivy. Beau. You okay?" He turns to the boy on the other bed who is driving the van. "You and I are gonna talk." He turns back to his children and asks, "You alright?"

"Dad, we're fine. Calm down," Beau replies calmly.

"Yeah, Beau only fell cause the truck moved a bit. And I'm okay," Ivy tells him.

"I'm so sorry, Ivy. I tried to stop," Beau's friend, who almost hit us, says.

"I know. It's okay," Ivy replied with a reassuring smile.

"No. It's sure as hell is not okay!" Charlie says.

"Dad. It wasn't his fault. The roads are really icey," Ivy says.

"Ivy. You both could have been killed. You understand that?" Charlie exclaims.

"Yeah, But we weren't so," Beau says.

"You can kiss your license goodbye!" Charlie glares at the boy and points a finger in his face.

Dr. Carlisle Cullen walks through the doors of the emergency room. "I heard the chief's kids were here," he says, walking over to where the Swan siblings are sitting.

"Dr. Cullen," Dad nods.

"Charlie," He replies.

"I've got this one, Jackie. Beaufort and Ivy Swan?" He says, taking a clipboard from the nurse who was checking on the girl's health.

"Beau," he interrupts. He seems tencer than he was before now that the Doctor is in the room.

"Well, Beau, it looks like you and your sister took quite a spill," Dr. Cullen continues. "How do you feel?" he asks, walking to stand before Ivy.

"Fine," Ivy says truthfully.

"Look here," he says softly. She watches his finger as he moves a small light from side to side. "You might experience some post-traumatic stress or disorientation, but your vitals look good. No signs of head trauma. I think you'll be just fine," he says.

"I'm so sorry, guys. I'm really-." The boy behind them was cut off by Charlie closing the privacy curtain, blocking him from view.

"If Edward weren't there to knock me out of the way, I'd probably be dead," Ivy tells the doctor, who has the same golden eyes as the rest of his family.

"Edward? Your boy?" Charlie asks Dr. Cullen.

Ivy nods as she continues, "Yeah, it was amazing. I mean, he got there so fast, and he was nowhere near me."

"Well, it seems like you were fortunate," the doctor replies. "Charlie." He nods, walking away.

Charlie, Beau, and Ivy walk out of the emergency room. "I gotta do some paperwork. You should...Probably call your mom," Charlie says.

"What? You told mom?" Ivy asks, earning a nod from her father.

"She's probably just freaking out," Beau says, taking out his cell phone and running his fingers through his hair. They both walk off, so Ivy goes to find a seat, hearing voices from around the corner. Edward is speaking to his father and Rosalie.

"What was I supposed to do, let her die?" Edward says quickly in a hushed tone.

"This isn't just about you. It's about all of us. Look, I know you feel this weird 'connection,' but-," Rosalie says.

"I think we should take this in my office," Carlisle says, making eye contact with Ivy. Both Rosalie and Edward look at her, too, making her clear her throat awkwardly.