CH.18: PRETTY BOY

Edward's POV:

"Just let me go, Charlie," Beau said angrily. I heard the door get thrown open, making it hit the wall with a loud bam echoing throughout the house. "It didn't work out, okay? I really, really hate forks!"

I was perched on the Swan's rooftop, crouched low in an animal-like stance. I glared into the forest on the other side of the street, past the trees to the dirty-blonde vampire who was watching the scene below from a tree. The tracker's mind is interesting. Everything is a game to him. He's just trying to win. He kept his distance, watching from afar. He hadn't spotted me yet but was very aware of Emmet who was in a tree as well, just a few yards from me.

I've split my attention between Ivy and Beau's well-being, and James's actions. But he quickly steels it completely as a thought occurs to him, as fun as this hunt is, I need more of a reward for such an elaborate game. What do I want? Power. Yes, I want power. Bringing pretty boy's human to the Volturi? Now, that would get me power. Not just that. Victoria and I would probably earn higher levels of not just power, but status in the vampire community as well. To be in the good graces of Aro seems almost too good to be true. Almost.

I growl lowly, suddenly feeling very territorial. I need to get Ivy away from here as soon as possible. There was absolutely no way that the Volturi would get involved in this. I won't let them.

I heard no more footsteps so I assumed Charlie stayed on the doorstep while his daughters ran into the night for the truck. I could tell that the tears on my girlfriend's face were painfully real. She shouldn't have to do this. She was paying for my mistake. My foolishness.

I put her in this hellish situation.

Charlie's mental responses didn't make it any easier. They were deeper and more searing than I would have expected.

I watched as Ivy threw her bag on the bed and wrenched the door open. I quickly glanced at the tracker before climbing down, making sure to land light on my feet so as to not draw attention to myself. Emmett landed next to me a second later, his shoes making a low thump sound as they hit the dirt and damp grass below. Beau tossed his sister the keys as she got in the truck, Ivy doing the same before shoving the key in the ignition.

My brother and I share a look as I tell him, "Go find Alice. She's in your jeep, down the road." He nods once in response before taking off in a flash.

"We'll call you tomorrow!" Ivy yelled out the window to Charlie, bringing my attention back to her. The pain in her voice was palpable and only brought me agony. She gunned the engine and pulled out of the driveway. I stuck to the shadows as I followed the truck. I made no noise as I leaped into the trunk. I made my way to the driver's side as Ivy sped up before hanging my legs off the side of the truck and opening the door.

Ivy's glaring ahead of her with her eyes glossy with fresh tears. If my heart could still beat, I'm sure it would be aching right now. I reached for her hand, grazing mine against hers softly so that she wouldn't be alarmed. "Pull over," I said as the house, and Charlie disappeared behind us. The driver's door was wide open as I supported myself on the moving truck with one arm so that I wouldn't fall off or tip the truck over.

"I can drive," Ivy said through the tears streaming down her high cheekbones. She seemed lost in a trance of sorts. I wish I could know what was going on in her mind right now but it didn't take a genius to know that she was overwhelmed with guilt. I wish I could comfort her but I know there is nothing right now that could make this better for her. Or her brother who was distracting himself with the scenery out the window. This was all my fault. I wasn't careful enough. And now these are the consequences.