PROLOGUE

JENNIFER BARNES SAT ANXIOUSLY WHILE the Hogwarts March echoed around the stands, looking up every few seconds in hope that Cedric Diggory would appear, triwizards' cup in hand.

She tried to picture her boyfriend holding it high and proud, grinning from ear to ear with glee before hugging his father and looking up at her and his sister in pride.

But no, she was forced to wait while, little by little, the champions from other competing schools returned. Jennifer hadn't even realized her knee was bobbing until she felt a hand steady it.

She turned to her left to see her best friend, Jamie Diggory, looking at her assuringly. "My brother can take care of himself. Don't worry yourself, Jen Jen," the curly-haired girl told her.

"Huffelpuffs are good finders, aren't they?" Fred Weasely asks, sitting on the opposite side of Jamie.

George Weasely scoffs at his twin's question before remarking, "He definitely is. He didn't become Huffelpuff's seeker and captain by just hopping onto the position."

The twins have been doing their best to distract the girls while hours pass and everyone waits for Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory's return.

But Jennifer looked forward again, her leg now bouncing at a quicker pace than before. It's past midnight now. She regrets allowing Cedric to put his name into the Goblet of Fire, even if he would've done it no matter what.

The trio to her left continues to chatter, but the girl drowns it out, now playing with her fingers. She eventually feels like enough is enough. She stands up and exits the Hogwarts stands, striding to Beauxbatons Academy's stands where their unaccomplished champion, Fleur Delacour, sits shivering despite the blanket wrapped around her body.

"Fleur, please tell me you saw Cedric and that he's okay," Jennifer says with pleading eyes.

"Eh, no. I'm zorey, Geniver," the French girl replies in her thick French accent. Her fists clench onto her blanket, holding it impossibly close to her chest.

"It's fine." Jennifer places a hand on Fleur's shoulder. "I'm glad you're okay," she tells her before returning to her friends.

When she returns, Lee Gordon has joined them. "Hey, Lee," She mutters, sitting back in her original spot between Jamie and Lee.

"Hey, Jenny. You okay? You look a little freaked," he comments, eyeing the girl to his left.

"I'll be fine when I see Cedric," is all she says.

Jamie, Fred, and George were laughing at a joke one of them had said when Jamie fell silent suddenly, pausing her movements. Her hands start to shake involuntarily. She knows what this means but refuses to believe it.

The twin's laughter dies down, noticing how she's no longer listening to them and becoming even more concerned for her than they had before.

"Jamie?"

"Jam?"

"He's okay," the girl states in a whisper.

"Of course he is, Darling," Fred assures her.

Jennifer just stares at her friend's blank expression.

"He's okay," she repeats.

"Jay-," Jenniffer tries to speak, only to be interrupted.

"He's okay," Jamie repeats again, looking at the ginger boys with tears in her eyes.

"Fred, I don't think she's listening," George says.

"Hadn't noticed. Thanks, Georgey."

Jamie is now shaking her head quickly. "I don't think he's okay..." she whispers.

The twins' expressions are full of worry. Jeniffer doesn't know what to think as she looks between Jamie and the Weasley twins. There's a sound of a crack, causing all five sets of eyes to land on Harry sobbing on the ground, many yards before them, his body towering over someone. Cedric.

"No," Jennifer says under her breath. Her chest aches, looking at the scene before her. She stands, feeling like a zombie, as her feet guide her away and past horrified students and towards the body. She ignored the heart-wrenching screams echoing both in her head and around her.

She could see Harry's mouth moving, but his words weren't processing in her mind. Now that she is closer, she can see Cedric's glossed-over silver eyes. The eyes that would always have a gleam of adoration when with her were now lifeless, staring off into a void.

A tear quickly streams down her cheek. Her knees give in, causing her to fall to the ground. He is in her arm's reach now.

The muffled sound of Jamie screaming at Dumbledore about having a tournament at all goes in one ear and out the other as Jennifer scoots closer to Cedric, tilting his face to look at her.

"Ced?" her voice breaks.

"Jennifer, I'm so sorry..." Harry tells the girl as he tries to catch his breath between sobs.

"Please don't leave me, Ced. Our love lasts." Jeniffer pleads quietly to her dead boyfriend, drowning out Harry's apologies. "I promise you. No matter what, you and I will be together again," she whispers to him before closing his eyes with her fore and ring finger.

She quietly mutters some incantations as one of the professors pulls Harry and Jamie away and escorts other students out and back towards the castle, leaving Jennifer, Cedric's father, and the headmaster with his lifeless body.

I'll see you in another life, Ced.

Word count: 865