CH.3: PANICKED

AFTER THEIR FIRST DAY AT school, Charlie took Ivy and Beau to a diner they went to when they were kids. Once they got home, Ivy got a call from her mom. "So? How was your first day at the new school? Any cute boys or girls? Are they being nice to you?" Renée asks.

"Well, they are very... welcoming," Ivy says.

"Uh oh. Welcoming in a good way or a bad way?" her mom asks.

"In a good way. They are very charming," Ivy assures her.

"Well, tell me more,"  she pushes.

"I don't know. I think I have to spend more time here to have an answer," Ivy tells her.

"Oh, common. No details? I miss you," her mom tells her.

"I miss you too, Mom, but I have some homework to catch up on, so I'll talk to you later," Ivy says.

"Okay, Hunny. I love you," Renée says. "Say hi to your brother for me."

"Will do. Love you. Bye," Ivy says, then hangs up.

The next few days, Edward and Ivy shared a lot of eye contact. She kept having dreams or visions that didn't make sense. Sometimes during classes. After a little while, she noticed that, unlike Cedric from her visions, Edward had amber eyes. Almost golden. Not silver. To think of it, all of his adoptive family had amber eyes. If not, then solid black.

Violet and Ivy have gotten closer in the past few school days. Ivy met Violet's friend Blase, who she definitely has a crush on, but he's pretty oblivious.

A week goes by. Beau and Ivy walk out of the house to Charlie's truck. Beau slips on some ice on the pavement and falls on his behind. Ivy helps him up and says, "You okay?" trying her best to suppress a grin.

"Yeah, I'm good. Ice doesn't really help the uncoordinated," he replies with a wince.

"Yeah, that's why I had some new tires put on the truck. Old ones were getting pretty bald," Charlie says, walking over to them.

"Oh, thanks," Beau says.

"I'll be late for dinner. I have to go to the town over. A security guard at the mill got killed by some kind of animal," their dad replies, walking to his cop car.

"An animal?" Ivy asks.

"You're not in Phoenix anymore, Ive. Anyway, I figured I'd lend a hand," Charlie adds.

"Be careful," Beau says.

"Always am," Charlie says before getting in his car.

"Hey, Arizona! Liking the rain?" Blase asks as he and Ivy walk into their Advanced Bio class.

"Yeah, a little water never hurt anybody," Ivy smiles before hanging her coat. She looks around for an accessible seat and sees one next to Edward. Ivy takes a seat next to him and lays her bag down on the floor next to her.

"Hey. Ivy, right? I'm sorry for storming off like that in the cafeteria last week," He says.

"Oh. It's okay. I-" Ivy says, getting interrupted by the teacher who's holding some sort of golden root.

"On your slides are onion root cells. What I want you to do is separate them and label them into phases of mitosis. The first partners that get it right are going to get the golden onion," The teacher says, showing the class the golden onion, earning him a few sarcastic oohs and ahhs from other classmates.