O-S Runaways (Clover & Custard)

A/N: YAY! NEW REQUEST! Clover Angst for @iIGhostiCloverIi
TW: Traumatic memory, starvation, neglect, manic episodes

Clover's eyes teared up. He sucked in a breath. "I'm sorry, mom." Then, he walked away, holding his little brother in his arms. They were, officially, missing.

White Lily- no- Dark Lily- no- White Enchantress- no- the name was still being workshopped- Darth Momma was sitting on the floor of her living room, pouring over book after book about magic. Papers and notes were strewn around and she hadn't eaten or slept in two days. It was an addiction.

He tried his hardest not to sob along with his infant brother that night. They were cold, hungry, and tired. Clover didn't know where their father was. Pure Vanilla was always busy caring for other people. It was no longer safe to live with their mother. She wasn't a reliable parent anymore.

Clover sat down in the grass of the forest, setting Custard beside him and taking off his backpack. He rummaged through it, pulling out a few items. Then, he picked his brother back up and started carefully feeding Custard applesauce he had stolen from a market. His brother would die if not fed, but he decided he could go another night.

As the stars shone above them, Clover strummed his lute and sang a song to Custard, lulling him to sleep. He laid his head to rest, but it had other plans. Instead, it chose to replay the moment he knew he had to run away again and again and again.

Clover saw it with his eyes closed. He heard it with them open. There was no end to the insanity; to the mental torture.

His mother screamed a blood-curdling, gut-wrenching scream. She shook, her hands covering her mouth as tears poured from her eyes. Then, she fell to her knees. For a while, a long while, she just cried. But then, she raised her head to glare at Clover.

"YOU! THIS IS YOUR FAULT! I NEVER SHOULD HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH YOU! YOU USELESS, GOOD FOR NOTHING, DREAM-CRUSHING DEMON! SO SELF-RIGHTEOUS! SO CONDESCENDING! AS IF YOU'RE SO PERFECT!"

"MOM! IT'S ME! IT'S JUST ME!" Clover backed away, his hands raised in defense.

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!"

"MOM, PLEASE," he sobbed. "PLEASE BELIEVE ME!" Clover rested one of his raised palms to his right eye, concealing it from her vision. "It's just me...Clover..." Now only the blue one sparkled.

What was left of their mother seemed to calm down, reverting back to sobbing. "I'm so sorry," she whispered, bringing a hand to brush away his tears. "I'm so sorry, baby."

He let himself cry at the memory, silently thinking to himself about growing out bangs. Then, he drifted off to unpleasant sleep, passing out from exhaustion.