Chapter 33: Part 2: Dealings

Kevin nods in understanding and leans back in his chair. Kevin and I have been having our own private conversation behind the menu for too long. The women on the other side of the table seem to be growing antsy and the waiter appears to take our order.

I point to something randomly. "That's a good choice."

"What can I get you guys?"

"We'll have an order of hot wings and french fries," I say before handing the menu to him.

"That sounds delish!" Maria's mouth makes an O-shape as she skims the options. "Can you bring us some artichoke dip and chips too?"

The table grows quiet as the waiter jots everything down. Kevin waits with reserved expectation while Maria inspects her polished fingernails. The agent receives an important phone call and excuses herself from the table. Mrs.Casaletto tinkers with the ice in her drink and watches the crimson liquid swirl inside. I shrug out of my sweater and roll up the sleeves of my light blue blouse.

"I forgot about drinks. Mrs. Casaletto, what did you decide on?" I ask.

She perks up. "Martini."

I look at Maria. "And you?"

"Cosmopolitan."

I pretend to muse it over. "I think I'll have the same."

Mrs. Casaletto's thin lips spread into a smile. "Prendi quello alla fragola."

"Strawberry does sound good." I turn to the waiter. "I'll also have a strawberry cosmopolitan."

Maria looks at Kevin. "Anything for you?"

"It's a little early to drink. We still have a lot to go over."

"Come on. Five o'clock is the new seven." Maria says.

Kevin looks skeptical but I tap my lip with my index finger to remind him to copy what I do. If I order a drink, he's supposed to order a drink. His brows draw together as his eyes remain fastened to my mouth.

Seeming to pick up my meaning, he unbuttons his sleeves. "I'll have a scotch."

"Now it's a party." Maria cheers.

With the addition of Kevin's drink, the waiter repeats our order back to us. Everything sounds correct.

"Yes. Thank you, Alex." I say in a grateful tone.

This waiter has been pretty patient and hasn't rushed us to pick anything. With how things are going, I think I owe him a huge tip.

His mouth curves into a shy smile, flashing dazzling white teeth. "Sure thing."

He pushes his boyish copper-colored hair out of his eyes and stares straight into mine. "Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you."

He's barely walked away before Maria whistles. "How have I never heard of this place?"

Lidia chuckles and says something in Italian too fast for me to catch.

Maria giggles."I know. Samantha should try to get his number."

My mouth falls open. "Are you serious? That guy looks barely old enough to work here."

"How old do you think you are?"

Sure he could be considered attractive to some but I'm definitely not interested or even in a place to look at another man like that.

"Old enough to spot a college student when I see one."

"That's where you're wrong. Young guys make great boyfriends, they're so eager to please." Maria winks. "Besides, he's obviously flirting, you're the only one he keeps talking to."