Chapter 13 Part 2: Green Eyed Monster

Samantha Campbell

I have no words. My head swirls as I stare at their entwined fingers. This can't be real life. The wind is knocked out of my lungs as I picture the two of them together. Flashes of what must have happened in those hotel rooms play through my mind.

Large King size bed with messy sheets, vanilla scented candles to set the mood, and dark red rose petals scattered across the floor. Breathing in his signature Creed cologne while they embraced.

Kissing, hugging, touching; their bodies entangled in a sinful dance. I want to throw up. When we first got married, Daniel would take me away to a nice hotel for the weekend. I guess he never stopped doing that, we just did.

My chest feels like it's filled with tiny needles. Wrapping my arms around myself, I attempt to hold it together. The needles rattle around when I move, pricking my fragmented heart when I breathe.

"Sorry it took me so long to get here. Daniel kept me pretty busy." She brags, resting her head on his shoulder. Gazing longingly into his eyes, she places her hand on his chest.

"You didn't tell me this was a work function" He states pointedly to Shanelle, while his gaze remains on me.

My skin crawls under the examination of those hungry baby blues. Raking over my body from top to bottom, with a wicked lopsided smile.

He wears a gray Ralph Lauren suit with a black tie that matches Shanelle's pantsuit. They look like a convincing couple, one that didn't form overnight.

"I didn't think you'd mind." She coos in his ear with a coy smile. Patting his dirty blonde hair. He swats her hand away, probably irritated that she brought him here without his permission.

"Besides it's nice to get the gang back together. Right Sammie?" She winks, her sweet voice dripping venom into his nickname for me.

My jaw clenches, hating the sound of it. Just like Daniel, I fell for her false impression.

"I didn't know you were such a good actress. Pretending to care about me while you screwed my husband."

Daniel wears an amused expression, enjoying the sight of Shanelle and I fighting over him. He doesn't realize I'm fighting for my friendship, not for our marriage.

She smirks, in triumph. Her eyes dance with unexplainable gratification.

"You should know. Don't you get tired of playing the victim all the damn time?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Give it a rest already. Poor Samantha has good parents, a handsome husband, a nice house, and now a promotion. You're always complaining about everything and I'm sick of it."

"How can you stand there and say that?

"You don't deserve what you have so I took it."

"What kind of heinous bitch plots someone's downfall?" I yell, my impassioned rising.

She laughs bitterly, flipping her hair over her shoulder. I don't know this stranger in front of me who laughs at my pain. This all feels like a vivid nightmare. I should wake up any second in my room and find the world to be the same.

"An ambitious one." She replies curtly.

I feel this lump in the back of my throat but nothing is there. My throat is tightening and I can't breath. I've been shot. A skilled marksman set me in her sights and pulled the trigger. Suffering with a bullet to the heart, the tears threaten to spill out.