Chapter 16: Ripple Effect

Samantha Campbell

"This looks appetizing....?" I say, moving the spicy tuna roll around with my chopsticks.

The thought of chewing raw uncooked meat makes my stomach turn in disgust. I consider myself open to trying new things but sushi isn't one of them.

Pushing my plate to the side, I gulp down my green tea instead.

The smell of fragrant cooked rice and fish fills the large sushi restaurant. It's chili red walls and gingerbread table setting makes me think of autumn. This exclusive looking spot is pretty empty for lunch time. The few guests that are here sit on the floor at rectangular wooden tables.

Our table is filled with small bowls of miso soup, scrambled egg, seaweed and some other dishes I'm not familiar with. Deciding to stick to the sides, I fill a plate with Yakisoba, Japanese stir-fried noodles, and nibble on a piece of seaweed.

Maria Miller grins, her eye lighting up when I take a bite of my noodles. Despite being in her late forties, the heiress doesn't look a day over 30. Every time I have a meeting with her I swear she looks younger and younger.

The sunlight streaming through the small windows casts her in an ethereal glow. Her long platinum blonde hair and icy blue eyes remind me of a snow queen. Frosty icicles hang from her earlobes while diamonds adorn her fair wrists.

The sleeves of her v-neck dress flutter when she waves a waiter over. Chef Morimoto himself comes from behind the sushi bar with an expensive looking bottle of sake.

"Don't you just love this place? I always come here when I need a break." She says to me while accepting the bottle.

"Isn't Italy your getaway place?" I tease, knowing full well her Italian villa is her own private retreat. I understand why she goes every few months. Massive indoor pool and waterfall, steam room and sauna, private yoga and fitness center, and incredible views of the mountain side.

"Touche! This is my stateside sanctuary then. Speaking of Italy, did I tell you who I ran into?"

Mirroring her, I lean forward. Whenever she gets that excited timbre in her voice, I know she's ready to share some juicy information.

"Who?"

"Lidia Casaletto! I ran into her at a Galleria in Naples. She was such a doll."

My eyes widen at her luck. I've been a fan of Lidia Casaletto since I read her book.

"Are you serious? Don't kid with me Maria."

"Cross my heart! She's actually having a book signing in town."

She slides a gray pass across the table that says Shattered Glass: U.S Book Tour in white words. I pick it up and flip it over to read the back. To my surprise it says my name on it.

"This is for me?"

She nods. "It's tomorrow."

My mouth falls open, unable to respond if I wanted to. Seeming to like my reaction, she rejoices and pours herself a cup of sake.

Maria Miller is not the entitled or spoiled woman the tabloids depict. They make you believe that she's one of those rich women who just live off their inheritance. In reality, she dabbles in a little bit of everything. Stocks, fashion, travel, food, fundraisers.

Writing mystery books is her latest pastime and she's actually really good. When I found out what happened with her last publisher I jumped at the chance to work with her.

It's crazy how close we've become in a short amount of time. Well as close as a work friendship can be.

"It's not even open to the general public.This must have cost a fortune."