Chapter 36: Part 2: Birthday Party

Samantha Campbell

Josephine looks back and forth between me and the library. "Aren't you going to join him?"

I shake my head. "I'm not his 3'oclock meeting."

"Oh...." The words hang there as it sinks in that she was mistaken.

"Yeah..." I lean against the counter with a burst of nervous laughter. "He was a little surprised to see me."

That's a bit of an understatement but I decide to leave out the part where he was naked. I don't want to embarrass Kevin and I don't want Josephine to apologize or ask me any questions about it. I don't think I can handle reliving the shock of seeing my boss in a towel or the scrutiny that comes with my reaction.

"I apologize." She taps her forehead with her finger. "I guess you had those worry lines for a good reason."

My mouth opens in shock before I laugh at her comment. "I don't know what lines you're talking about."

Josephine laughs with me. "My grandmother used to say worries only bring wrinkles and divorces."

I relax my face. I guess I should chill with the overthinking. I already have one out of two and I'm not shooting for an old maid look in my thirties. 

"Wow. With a motto like that, her skin must have been flawless."

She seems to think back on her grandmother's life with humor. "It  would've been if she took her own advice."

Josephine takes out a cutting board and knife and sets them on the island.

"You need any help?" I ask.

Josephine smiles and starts chopping vegetables. "You're sweet."

So this is what it feels like to be brushed off. I don't know if she thinks I can't cook or if I'm just trying to be nice, but she doesn't seem to think I'll do it. I take off my blazer and hang it on the back of the stool. Luckily, I don't have any sleeves to roll up with the silky camisole I'm wearing underneath. I grab a potato and start peeling right beside her. 

"Oh, you don't have to." She says. 

"I want to. Besides, it's not like I'm doing anything."

She must realize that I have a point because she agrees. We fall into a rhythm of dicing and cutting and doing tasks without having to say a word. Before we know it, we've finished chopping everything we need. 

Josephine looks happy and wipes her hands on her apron. 

I grab a small bowl from the dish rack and hold it out to her. "Faster with two people, right?"

She takes it from me with a grateful nod and sweeps all her cut ingredients into the bowl.

"Much. You and Kevin must get a lot done together at work."

I wipe my hands with a paper towel. "I like to think we do." 

"Since you're still here, you're welcome to stay for dinner," Josephine says.

I grab a big spoon from the dish rack and give it to her. "Thanks but I don't think I'm going to be sticking around."

She mixes all the veggies,  herbs, and beef into one big pot and throws in what looks like red powder.

"What's that?" I ask. 

She holds up the red seasoning packet. "Sazon. It gives the meat extra flavor."

I step closer and inhale the hearty smell that makes me close my eyes. "Smell's good."

"You sure you can't stay? I bought more than enough food for three people."