Chapter 28: Fears

Samantha Campbell

"You've arrived at your destination." A robotic female voice announces.

My grip on the steering wheel relaxes, the color returning to my knuckles. Kevin shuts off the GPS from his phone as I pull into an empty parking spot. What looks like a two-story mansion sits at the top of the hill with a giant sign that says Golden Oak Country Club. Kevin forgot to mention the massive incline I had to drive up to get to this place. Any time my car has to go up a 30-degree angle, I can't help but imagine the car rolling downhill.

"Everything, okay?" Kevin asks.

"Is this the right place?"

His eyes are skeptical, but he mumbles a yes. I don't explain while I bury my nervous impulses. It's bad enough I've already cried in front of the man, he doesn't need to witness all my fears. My brows furrow as I turn my attention to the sign in front of the building.

"How is socializing with a bunch of stuffy rich people going to help me relax?"

Kevin's eyes crinkle at the sides. "First, I'm boring. Now I'm stuffy?"

I take the key out of the ignition and look at him.

"Why does it always slip my mind that you're rich?"

He shrugs his shoulders. "Because of my down to earth personality."

His straight face and deadpan tone don't match his words. Amusement bubbles to the surface despite my mood.

"I'm sure that's it," I say with laughter in my voice.

A smile tugs at the corners of his mouth.

"We have to go through the country club to get to the lake." He says, unbuckling his seatbelt.

He opens his car door and steps out. Gripping the cold handle, I debate whether I should go with him. I know I told Kevin the lake sounded like a good idea, but now that we are here, I'm second-guessing my decision. What sane person hangs out with their boss? Especially after they've been assaulted by their psycho husband? My priorities are all over the place and I don't even know what I'm doing here...

"You coming?"

I bite my lip. Am I? As I watch him from the safety of my car, I judge my options. I can see this mysterious lake Kevin was raving about on the car ride or I can tell him I changed my mind. I'm sure he'd understand if I said I wanted to go home.

Home... where exactly is that? My parent's house is the last place I want to go to. Ever since Daniel showed up on their porch, I've made sure to never be alone in the home. Why would I rush there now?

I get out of the car and jog up to him. I guess it can't be helped. I need to clear my head. From what Kevin's promised, this lake will do just that.

Classical jazz welcomes us when we step inside the building. A male receptionist perks up at the sights of us and beckons us over to his modern high gloss desk. His slicked-back hair and bold green and red striped shirt remind me of a preppy guy from a 1950s film.

"Welcome, members!" He says in a flamboyant voice.

Kevin removes something from his blazer and gives it to the man.

A wide toothy grin spreads across his face. "Welcome back, Mr. Kim."

Kevin nods as he slides the gold card into his wallet. The man waits with an expectant look for mine.

My shoulders stiffen. "Oh, I don't-"

"She's with me," He declares to the receptionist in an even but undebatable voice.