Chapter 29: Confession

Kevin Kim

Hunched over, I can't relax on the wooden bench as much as I'd like to. Sitting in close proximity to the dock, I wait for Samantha to catch up in agitated remorse.

What was I thinking? Bringing Samantha to a country club is ostentatious enough, but leading her down the challenging scenic route pushed her over the edge. Before then, she seemed at ease in my company, joking and laughing in the corridor. The sadness in her eyes subsided for a moment, and the sobbing woman from the car was gone. Seeing as she almost fell, she must think I'm inconsiderate now.

I wring my hands and contemplate my actions. When we stepped outside, a rush of excitement flooded my body. Without realizing, I slipped into the past and became a different person, someone who is adventurous and not burdened by familial responsibilities. Something about the fresh air at Golden Oaks perpetually loosens my inhibitions and unleashes a freer version of myself. Being around the lake unlocks a spirited nature, I don't seem to possess otherwise. Channeling that energy, I believed the shorter path was the best way to venture, although I was quickly proven wrong.

I groan as I recount the way Samantha tensed under my touch. The unadulterated horror etched on her face was enough to make me back away. I gave her space and continued down the path, but the blissful stupor immediately faded and was replaced by a cautious shell. I've never witnessed someone so scared before, let alone at my hands.

Boisterous cheering grabs my attention. Two boys skip rocks on the dock while their parents push their small boat into the water. They count how many skips each can achieve before the rock sinks, turning the activity into a competitive game. Once the current lifts the families' vessel, the parents call the children over and hoist them on it. The overjoyed group giggles and drift along the lake.

My people-watching is cut short when Samantha comes into view. Standing at the end of the path, she scans the dock and surrounding area. Once she spots me, she marches over in a matter of seconds.

"Kevin, that path—"

"Was too difficult for you," I interrupt, raking my hand through my hair.

"Yeah, heels and hills don't mix." Heated sarcasm clamps onto the ends of her words.

"I realize that now and I apologize."

With one arm holding the other, she seems to accept but doesn't respond. Her guarded silence bothers me. I thought we came to a mutual understanding these past few days. We don't have to be friends, but I would like her to feel safe or at least not flinch when I'm near.

Water splashes in the distance. The same family leisurely row their boat, the oar dipping in and out of the lake. The ripples remind me of the stones the boys skipped and give me an idea.

"Come with me," I say, walking towards the dock.

"After that hill? I think I'll wait here."

"Would you do a trust exercise with me?"

She folds her arms across her chest. "Depends on what it is."

"Let's skip rocks. Whoever gets the most skips gets to ask a personal question."

She gives me an incredulous look. "I think we get along."

"We do but as business partners, I want us to trust each other. I can't talk freely with you if we have to be so guarded all the time."

She bites her lip as she processes my offer.

"How do we do this?"

After we look up an auto-generated list of questions, we decide that I will go first. We are allowed one skip each if we do not feel comfortable answering and will continue until we've both asked three.