Chapter 12: Advice

Kevin Kim

Kevin Kim

"That concludes the presentation on department expectations. Are there any questions?"

Scanning the faces of my employees, I toss my notes from the power-point down onto the table. Leaning forward with my body angled towards my audience, I wait for a response.

My new assistant, Donna, a peculiar older woman who can't relay a message to save her life, stares blankly at the screen. If I didn't know any better, I'd think she was sleeping with her eyes open.

The few people I've learned from interviewing them, are avoiding my gaze at all costs. Samantha Campbell's eyes are glazed over, like she's somewhere else. She fiddles with her ink pen before scribbling something on a piece of paper.

Shanelle Simmons picks at her fingernails, removing bits of salmon pink nail polish. She glances around the room absentmindedly before noticing my eyes on her. 

Without warning, she flashes a forced smile my way, her eyes twinkling in polite professionalism. I nod in acknowledgment but note that she adjust her behavior when she knows I'm looking.

Sitting at the head of the conference table, you'd think all eyes would be on me. I called this meeting to get to know my workers, to see what kind of ideas or insights they have. This task has proven to be more complex than I originally thought.

The projector hums in the background along with the central air turning on and off. The only human sound is an older man clearing his throat and then shuffling in his white rolling chair.

The sunlight shining through the glass windows is starting to fade, our work day approaching its end. A small sigh escapes my lips, but I try to hide the growing disappointment by turning off the projector with a click from my remote. The overhead lights turn back on, basking the room in intense white light.

"Let's move on to the last order of business. I've chosen two candidates to move on to the final interview." Rising from my chair, I fasten the top button of my cashmere and silk blazer.

"Gary Johnson and Samantha Campbell. Meet me tomorrow in this room at 9:00 am."

A gasp escapes Samantha's glossy lips before she quickly clamps her hand over her mouth.

She bows her head in acknowledgement but also in what appears to be embarrassment at her audible shock. At least one person looks like they are moved by something I'm saying.

"Alright, if we are done here. Let's get back to work everyone." I dismiss my employees a bit disheartened with their level of enthusiasm. I know they won't adjust to my style of management overnight, but I thought they'd be happy with the upgrades and organization.

I make my way to my office, weaving through the numerous cubicles when a hand taps me on my shoulder; stopping me in my tracks.

"Mr. Kim, can I speak with you for a moment?" A somewhat familiar female voice asks.