Chapter 9: Done

Samantha Campbell

The late afternoon sun is an orange lantern, casting a faint orange glow in the sky as the impending darkness overtakes it. The sight of it makes me remember the evening walks I used to take with my mom and dad. When they weren't busy at the music conservatory, my mom made it a requirement that we spend at least one hour a day together as a family. After I'd finish my homework, we'd walk around the neighborhood and talk about our days, laughing and smiling whenever my father would make corny dad jokes.

Strolling down the empty sidewalk to my parent's house is like walking down memory lane. I take my time, appreciating the pleasantly warm air and the joyful sound of kids going into their homes. Everything was so simple back then; when my only problems were if Shanelle and I could hang out at her house, if I had money to go to the movies, and if I studied enough for an upcoming test.

I didn't realize how much I missed being home with my parents until I had to move back in with them. Being around them has reminded me what it's like to have people check up on you and genuinely care for you. It's been a comforting but also a heartbreaking experience because I intentionally pushed that love away for almost five years.

As I approach the front steps, I see a dark figure looming at the door. I stop in my tracks and stare at the shadow as it paces back and forth on the wooden porch. The porch light isn't on yet so I can't make out who it is, all I can tell is that it looks like a tall man.

"Can I help you?" I ask cautiously, staying at the bottom of the steps. I need to get into my house but not at the cost of my life. Mom and dad didn't tell me if they were expecting anyone today so it's better to be safe than sorry.

The dark figure stops peering through the dark windows and swiftly turns at the sound of my voice. The glint from his pearly white teeth makes my heartbeat accelerate.

Thankfully, the porch light hums to life before I take off running; illuminating the face I've been avoiding for the last two weeks.

"Sammy."

Just the sight of Daniel has the power to make my blood run cold. I stand paralyzed to my spot, unable to move if I wanted.

"What are you doing here?" I manage to croak out, hiding my trembling hands behind my back.

"That's how you greet your husband after all this time?" Daniel asks defensively. He stalks towards me, a sly Cheshire cat, ready to pounce on me at the slightest hint of movement.

"I said what are you doing here?" I repeat more confidently this time.

He halts mid step and puts his hands up in mock surrender. "I just want to talk."

Those haunting green eyes bore into mine, scrutinizing my face. After gauging whether I'm going to give him the chance to talk, his expression softens before he sinks down onto the porch swing.

Some insane part of me wants to know what he could possibly say to excuse how he's been treating me. To hear his side, could give me the closure I need to finally put pen to paper and sign the divorce papers in my room upstairs.

Walking up the steps, I stand next to the front door so that I'm close enough to hear him but can still make a quick exit.

He frowns when I don't take the open seat next to him but doesn't push it.

"Sammy, come home. I miss you." He pleads, his clear tone undercut with a choking heaviness that makes it sounds like he has to squeeze each word out. I almost go to him. Almost.

 He's so good at acting that he can manipulate even the most cold-blooded person into feeling bad for him. Even when I'm equipped with the knowledge of his tricks, they still affect me in intrusive ways, a strategic assault on my heart. I shake my head, snapping out of his spell.