Chapter 3:The Truth Hurts

Author Note: At the top is a picture of Daniel Peterson, Samantha's Husband.  *Trigger Warning* There is a scene with domestic violence so be warned.  Thanks for reading my story Glass Hearts, please leave comments and let me know what you think. 

Samantha Campbell 

I stare at the website for I don't know how long, rereading the word hotel. The late-night meetings, the overnight conferences, the important clients all seem like a lie I was too eager to accept. There is no excuse for a three-night stay at a high-end hotel without ever talking to me about it. Especially, one that specializes in rooms for couples. 

I've been such an idiot. I've made up so many excuses in my mind to ignore the obvious signs. All this time I thought I lived in a haunted house when my marriage is what's  jinxed. 

"Sammy!" Daniel shouts my name to get my attention.

Startled by the sound of his voice, I snap out of my daze. I turn around and see his tall frame standing in the bedroom doorway. Half of his face is shrouded in shadows, save for the whites of his eyes. How long has he been standing there? Watching me?

"I called your name several times. What are you looking at?"He asks skeptically.

I can't respond. I just stare at him. He's wearing a different suit than the one I last saw him in, a dark blue blazer and pants with a white button-up. After being gone for over a day his clothes look neat and ironed. Wherever he was he had a change of clothes. Was he at another hotel? I feel this unbearable ache in my heart.

"Why are you crying?" He asks, his eyebrows furrow in concern. He quickly steps into the room and sets down his briefcase.

"What?" I ask, surprised. I touch my wet cheek, and feel a river of tears streaming down my face. I didn't even realize I had started crying. Everything that I thought I buried deep inside comes floating to the surface.

He walks toward the desk and I nervously jump out of my chair. I wipe my face with my hands but it's no use, I can't make my tears stop falling.

 I wipe my face with my hands but it's no use, I can't make my tears stop falling

"I can't believe you, after everything we've been through." I cry, my voice cracking.

"What are you talking about?" He asks. He goes to the computer and looks at the screen. Realization floods his features; his body becoming rigid. He closes my laptop and steps toward me. I step back, my body now pressed against the wall.

"Don't." I say, motioning with my hand for him to stay where he is. How could he do this to me? I've put so many things in my life on hold while he got his career together. So many projects and business ideas I abandoned in order to have a stable income while he went to law school. Now it's finally my time to pursue what I want, and I'm rewarded with this bomb being dropped on me.