Chapter 23: Intern

The outfit at the top is what Samantha is wearing during the chapter. 

Samantha Campbell

Technology is evil. The fax machine at the back of the office rumbles to life when I press power but sputters before shutting back off. I check behind the massive machine and tug at the black cord to make sure that it's still plugged in. It is. I hold down the power button for a few seconds until it restarts. It roars to life but then flashes an error message on the screen. No matter what I do I can never make this thing work.

Pressed for time, I pluck the white paper from the tray and walk to Donna's desk. Waiting for a diagnostic from the tech department could take all day and I have to turn in this checklist to the board by eight. The compact one at her desk is far newer and she hasn't complained about it.

Donna has become our new receptionist. Instead of falling asleep and reading her magazines, she enforces a sign in sheet and keeps track of Kevin's meetings. The responsibilities that come with her new white u-shape desk suit her. She's the first happy face people see when they step of the elevator and the last they see when they leave. It's crazy to think we never had a receptionist. A flaw in the companies' original design that Mr Kim corrected. Her talkative and friendly demeanor makes people feel welcome.

When I approach, Donna's talking on the phone. I stare at the nick-nacks on her desk as I wait for her to finish up. A cup of assorted pens, tiny animal bobble heads, and a picture of her tiny Yorkshire Terrier. She writes something down on a calendar and then redirects the call. Perking up at the sight of me, she smiles.

"Can you fax this for me?" I ask.

"Sure." Donna says, taking the paper from me.

"Busy morning?"

Donna rises from her swivel chair and turns on the gadget behind her.

"No, that was actually my first call."

I prop my arm on her desk and rest my face on my palm.

"For Mr. Kim? Is he in his office?"

Donna whirls around to face me.

"I wouldn't go in there if I were you."

Her quiet voice is cautionary although we are the only two here.

"Why?"

"He's on a conference call with the board."

My arm drops and my eyes narrow.

"Seriously? It's not even eight yet."

What could they need him for? They insisted that we wouldn't need to participate in their decision after last night.

She shakes her head. "Seemed important."

Donna faces away from me and presses a green button. The document goes through with ease unlike the ancient one I was dealing with. Taking a seat in her chair, the black wheels slide her forward.

"All I know is, he didn't seem too happy to hear the chairman's voice."

"Chairman?" I repeat.

She glances up and nods.

That's weird. To my knowledge, he isn't supposed to be there. Mr. Kim mentioned in passing that the chairman was going to be busy at another meeting in Florida. Maybe he just wanted to check in with his son since he wouldn't attend in person.

A loud yawn escapes my lips before I can cover it fully with my hand.

When I got home last night, I went straight to my bed and passed out. To my relief no haunting images or burdensome thoughts of Daniel plagued my mind. Although a quiet and dreamless sleep greeted me, I still feel groggy.