Chapter 39: Assumptions

Standing in front of the Morning Sparrow with Chris, I can't help but laugh. I don't know where I thought he was taking me, but that mischievous smile he flashed seemed to have grander things in mind.

"What?" Chris asks.

I attempt to muffle my laugh with my hand but a chuckle still escapes my lips. "Did you bring us here for a cup of coffee?"

He tilts his head to the side with a crooked smile, "I never said we were going on some big adventure, just for a change of scenery."

"And that change led us here?" I ask.

Chris holds open the door for me. "You laugh now, but wait until you try their pastries."

The cozy reading cafe is fairly empty save for a man typing away at a laptop in the far corner and a couple drinking smoothies and playing a game of Jenga. A massive bookcase filled to the brim with different types of books is placed next to a long table with board games organized in a clear bin. We choose one of the perfectly fluffed couches with soft-looking pillows and lay our jackets down.

At the far end of the coffee bar, a serious-faced employee counts money at a register. Despite the alert the silver bell gave when we stepped inside, the older woman didn't pay us any attention. She let out a sharp sigh and continued to glance back and forth between the register and the pile of receipts in front of her. No one seems to be managing the other register, so we have no choice but to veer toward the preoccupied staff member.

We stare at the chalk menu in silence. There are so many variations of specialty drinks that I have no idea where to start.

After about a minute, Chris glances at me. "Ready?"

"Um..." I bite my lip.

I stare more intently at the board  as if that will make something  jump out at me.

He chuckles. "No worries. I know what to get you."

I fold my arms across my chest. "You do?"

"Trust me." He smiles before stepping up to the counter.

"We're ready to order," Chris announces.

The woman, who looks like the manager, mumbles something under her breath and scratches her head. Setting down the receipts in her hand, she walks toward us but stops short. She takes out a shiny calculator from a drawer and strides back to her cluttered side without a word.

Seriously? I get that she's busy, but a simple 'one second' would be fine instead of ignoring her customers. As if on cue, a towering burly guy comes from the back of the cafe with a large crate of mugs and sets them down with a thud.

"Be right with you." He says before sprinting into that same back room and returning with a tablet.

Switching the device on and scrolling through the apps, he uses his free hand to brush the light brown tendrils out of his eyes. Staring intently at the screen, he hasn't looked at us once. His mind seems too preoccupied with his other tasks.

Once he's managed to load the app he wants, he stands ready to type in our order. "Sorry for the delay. We are switching to digital. What can I get you guys?"

"Two of the usual," Chris says.

At the sound of Chris's voice, the barista looks up from the tablet in surprise.

"Hey, what're you doing here. I didn't think I'd see you till rehearsal."

"Just checking out the stalls," Chris says.

"At the square?" The man asks in disbelief.

"Don't knock it. You can find good stuff if you look hard enough."