Chapter 19: Is This the End?

School resumed and Catalina had been avoiding her so-called family and began taking the school bus. Shelley was beginning to miss her sister. Roman knew she needed her space but he too missed her. Lately, Catalina was spending more time with Peter. He knew something was wrong with her but didn't dare to ask. He didn't want to make things worse but he felt like he should somehow check up on her.

"Are you alright," asked Peter. They were both in the hall getting their things for the next class.

"Yeah why."

You seem down lately.

It's fine. I'm fine. Just got a lot of stuff on my plate right now. She responded as she exchanged some books from her locker to her bag. The worst part of all of this was that her birthday was coming soon. She didn't want to speak to anyone in her family.

If you need to vent I'm here. He placed his hand on her shoulder.

Thank you she gave him a small smile. If only he knew what was going on...

February  14: Catalina's birthday
It has been one month since she found out she wasn't a Godfrey. Catalina tried to get over it and forgive her family but she couldn't she didn't feel ready. It was stuck to her mind like glue. Countless sleepless nights thinking about who she was and where did she come from. After school, she didn't want to go back home just yet even though it was freezing out and she rather is snuggled up in her room reading a book or watching tv drinking some hot chocolate. Back home Olivia was finding ways to reconnect with her daughter. She bought her daughter's favorite cake; red velvet for her birthday. As she placed the candles she heard her children enter the house. Shelley and Roman entered the kitchen.

"Where's your sister?"

"I thought she stayed home?"

"No, she left for school? She didn't go with you?" Roman shook his head no. "Alright then, I'll be searching for her. Do not eat the cake yet I want your sister to be here." When Olivia left Roman stuck his finger in the frosting and licked it off. Shelley groaned at him.

"What? It was just the frosting." She rolled her eyes at him. Catalina was at a park sitting on the bench. In front of her was a beautiful view of the icy lake. Curiosity got the best of her. She wanted to see if there was any fishes swimming. As Catalina got closer she almost slipped. Thank goodness she caught her fall. She peeked through the icy floor and to her disappointment she saw nothing. She sighed and turned back around. The ground was icy and very dangerous. She slipped again this time she didn't catch her fall. Her head collided on a huge rock near the lake. Pools of blood painted the snow. Olivia was at a stop sign near the park. She had this sudden urge to check for Catalina over there. She parked on the side and headed towards the lake. Waves of worry overtook her. She rushed over to a bloody Catalina then, checked her pulse, and a sigh of relief overcame her. Olivia was calm that her daughter wasn't dead. Thank the heavens if she was then she would've become an upir which Olivia felt like she wasn't ready for yet. Olivia carried her daughter with ease and placed her in the car. She drove to the white tower. Olivia carried her to the top.

Where's Dr.Pryce she announced. The scientists looked at her with shock.

For heaven's sake where's-

Did you call, dr Pryce asked

Yes damn it here, she gave Catalina to her.

What happened to Catalina his expression changed when he saw the girl unconscious.

I don't know I found her in the park-like that. Don't worry she's breathing I checked her pulse. He rushed to the ER while holding her.

Before Olivia followed Dr. Pryce, she pointed at the blood on the floor, "Can someone clean up this mess." Dr. Pryce gently laid Catalina on the bed. He quickly called in other nurses and surgical assistants.

"We might need to do surgery." Worry took over Olivia. Dr. Pryce and other medical workers rushed Catalina to the OR.

"I want to see her."

"I'm sorry Mrs. Godfrey you can't go beyond this door."

"Who the hell are you telling me what to do!"

"Mrs.Godfrey, she's right." Dr. Pryce rushed his words. Olivia was left alone in the hallway. She had her hand over her mouth. She was on a verge of tears. It was the first time in a very long time that Olivia has felt sadness. Oh, how would she ever tell her children that their adoptive sister was in the white tower having emergency surgery? Her hands were shaking as she pulled out a cigarette. A tear slid down as she puffed on her cancer stick.